New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

AC
Brick God

Re: New to the forum?

Post by AC »

Glad to see you posting on here. Feel free to post pictures of your MOCs and Works in Progress.
KawasakiNinja
General Poster

Post by KawasakiNinja »

Greetings! I'm Daniel, living between Surrey & Richmond right now. Recently got back into Lego with the Hidden Side theme. Very sad it's ending... :( But it opened up the rabbit hole, and now here I am! Mainly collect Hidden Side and also Trains (my BF is really into trains), and I'm planning to mod City sets into Hidden Side style buildings once the line ends and I need a new hit. I look forward to meeting you all. :)
Matt N
MOC Poster

Post by Matt N »

Hi KawasakiNinja, the hidden side has some interesting parts for sure! The VLC has quite a few members who are into Lego trains as well, they have a booth with at the Vancouver Train Expo every year.
Visit my Lego GBC YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/greatballpit
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hello KawasakiNinja,

Welcome to the VLC forum. It is always great to hear about what sets brought people back to Lego. Hidden Side has some great sets. It is a shame that it did not last longer as a theme.
gates_apco
General Poster

Post by gates_apco »

HI!

I'm just starting my AFOL journey. I have been lurking on the FB group page for a bit. I attended several of the online Lego conventions in 2020. That was seriously the best thing to come from the pandemic.

I'm interested in GBC and MIL. Currently just organizing my personal collection and setting up a builds area in my apartment. The eternal struggle of storage and display etc.

My goal for 2021 is to make one GBC module.
Heidi
Matt N
MOC Poster

Post by Matt N »

HI Gates, welcome to the forum, the club has several GBC builders including myself. There are also several city/train layout builders in the club that are working on moving to the MILS standard for our collaborative displays.

What's the story with the vintage mini-fig as your avatar? I recently found one of those torsos in an old bulk lot from the 80's.
gates_apco
General Poster

Post by gates_apco »

Matt N wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:55 pm

What's the story with the vintage mini-fig ...
It's from the instructions page of my 1st set purchased as a kid. The set that really started my love of LEGO. I recently collected the parts for it and have added it to my collection.

https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-ref ... h-caravan/
Heidi
New Poster

Post by Stinger Davda »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Brejesh Davda, it was great meeting some of you on yesterday's Zoom call. I am a building inspector so of course I love Lego.

I was introduced to this group from Val. I'm a regular at the Guildford Mall Lego store as I'm living in Surrey.

I have an amazing, understanding wife named Tara and 3 energetic boys ages 9, 11 and 13 whom are all Legoholics, including my wife whom I've spent years converting.

I came out of my dark ages around 2014 when my first born was around 5 and I picked up Luke's X-wing to build with him.

I currently collect anything vehicle related including Expert, Technic, Creator, Speed Champion, Racers and Model Team; anything Mando related and various collector sets. Unfortunately my basement has always been rented so I never had any space to display sets until recently when I was able to get my basement back. I am currently planning on how to build and display my 200+ set back log but just don't have enough time in the day between work and family.

I'm looking forward to connecting with other AFOL's and learning new techniques on how to utilize my bulk bricks along with meeting new people.

Thank you for adding me to this wonderful group.

Regards,
Brejesh
Snowy
MOC Poster

Post by Snowy »

Welcome Brejesh.
It was great to meet you on the zoom call.
Valiant
New Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hi y'all!

My name is Connor Querin. I recently moved back to Vancouver after living in Edmonton for the past decade.
I was part of NALUG from 2014 up until I moved, though I was less active the past few years due to being in my dark age (which I've only recently come out of).

I'm not much of a collector - I would much rather part out a set for a MOC than leave it standing! That said, there are a few sets I would like to acquire for the sole purpose of display.
My bread and butter is military models, with a dash of sci-fi to keep things interesting :)

I look forward to meeting y'all!

Cheers,

Connor
Kittywithabanjo
New Poster

Post by Kittywithabanjo »

Hello all! Rob here, my wife Ronda, and I stopped by at Golden Spike days and said hello, we like many got into Lego during the pandemic, I was a big lover of space lego in my youth (My sister has my original Galactic Explorer and some other sets I hope to reclaim this summer).

We are collectors and builders of modulars, Creator (Icons), Technic, and many of the art sets.

Thank you for having us here we have been following on Facebook for awhile now as well.

We are also musicians, and I was very excited to get the new Jazz Quartet today!

R & R
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Glad you found us. And look forward to meeting you two in the near future if you're so inclined. I believe that you've met our Membership director, Dave.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Welcome R&R to the forum. Feel free to ask questions and join in on discussions. Keep in touch and let us know if you want to check out other shows or a meeting.
Brandon B
New Poster

Post by Brandon B »

Hello! My name is Brandon (since I'm sure you couldn't ascertain that from my username). Thank you for letting my join the Forum! I am from Oregon but moved to Vancouver for work. I found VLC by searching out if Vancouver had a LUG. I have always wanted to try being part of one and am happy to finally be in a place where I maybe can! :D I really enjoy collecting Star Wars sets, but at the end of the day I collect whatever strikes my fancy. :P I tend to do a lot of digital building, especially since I left most of my LEGO back in Oregon, but am slowly starting to get more bricks here to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing what sorts of things you guys are up to and hopefully getting to meet some other AFOLs here. :)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hello Brandon and welcome to the VLC forum. The VLC has fans of this hobby with all sorts of interests. Feel free to reply to chats, start new threads and ask questions. I am sure the membership director will be in touch with you with more info.
Joel Short
General Poster

Post by Joel Short »

Hi All,

I'm an AFOL in Burnaby and I've been making MOCs (very slowly) for a couple years. Looking forward to connecting with other local builders! My main interests are Star Wars and Architecture, but I also love 90's Technic and Space (just bought a 6781 SP Striker). I'm interested in attending a meeting - let me know how to get an invitation!
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hello Joel,

Welcome to the forum. I will let our membership director know that you posted asking about meetings.

So when you say you are interested in Star Wars do you build Star Wars MOCs? Do you use Flickr or Instagram to showcase your MOCs?

If so post a link so we can see what you build.

Look forward to meeting you.
Joel Short
General Poster

Post by Joel Short »

Thanks Allan, I think I did speak to the membership director. Hoping to attend the upcoming meeting!
Here's my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/156191615@N03/
I'm @short1197 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/short1197/
Ewodar
General Poster

Post by Ewodar »

Hi folks. I signed up to the VLC forum just before Christmas, but only now have had time to actually introduce myself in response to Daveblueband's welcome e-mail.

I’ve been a Lego builder since I was a small kid (mid-1960s) - with a lengthy interruption when I reached adulthood. But when my daughter was old enough to be interested and start building, I joined her. She’s now outgrown Lego (for now…?) but I’m still interested. I started more serious building during the Covid lockdown - I imagine many of you did the same. And now I’m hoping to meet other adult Lego enthusiasts - so I guess that makes me an AFOL.

I have a variety of bricks, both from general sets and from specialized building sets - half of these date from my childhood in the 60s and 70s, the rest were purchased for my daughter much more recently. I’ve always been particularly interested in trains. I have two train motors: a 12v motor dating from 1970 which still works, and a 4.5v motor with battery case that doesn’t work. Both of these came from Germany, many gifted by relatives - my great-uncle owned a toy and hobby store, and many of the old specialized sets came from his shop. I’d be very interested in meeting with any VLC members that also have such vintage sets, and who could maybe help me figure out if that 4.5v motor can be salvaged.

Thanks,
Erwin (aka Ewodar)
Erwin a.k.a. Ewodar
"Round up the usual disclaimers"
jeffrose
MOC Poster

Post by jeffrose »

Welcome Erwin! Hope to see you at a meeting sometime soon!
VLC - Technical Director Since 2018
Owner of: Brick Brains and BricksAndLinks
Daveblueband
Experienced Poster

Post by Daveblueband »

Thanks Ewodar - nice to meet you! Welcome!
Dave W. - VLC Membership Director
alcrbcca
New Poster

Post by alcrbcca »

Hello there,
I am new to the VLC forum … yeah!

I have met few of the VLC group during few of the BrickCan events in the past, therefore my interest to join it.

I have great passion to build, repair and restore things around me, since I was a kid. Being a kid, the LEGO sets were out of the reach for my parents. When I moved to Canada, for the first Christmas present 🎁 I gave to my daughter a Harry Potter LEGO set, which we enjoyed a lot.

In 2004 I did work for a short period of time in California and got in close contact to the First Lego League FLL competition out there where a friend’s son was participating; years later I had the chance to be a judge of the FLL competitions here in Vancouver (at BCIT) for a couple of years.

From that, my interest in MINDSTORMS and all kind of sets and MOCs with lot of moving parts which are the core of the MOCs I had built for the various BrickCan events.

Looking forward to meet some of you physically or virtually

Regards

Alfredo ( alcrbcca)
Matt N
MOC Poster

Post by Matt N »

Hi Alfredo, the VLC has several members that participate in Great Ball Contraption and Battle Bricks (Robot Fighting).

Which MOCs were yours at Brickcan?
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hello Alfredo!
It was great chatting with you at BrickCan. I hope you had a great time.
TeeMac
General Poster

Post by TeeMac »

Hey everyone,

My name is Tullia but you can call me “Toto” or “Toto-ly Tullia). Inspired by “Yoyo Firebricks”, I will go with the moniker: “Toto❤️LEGO” in the LEGO world.

I joined VLC forum 5 years ago after connecting with the VLC members in an exhibit VLC put together at Tsawwassen Mills. With a newborn and a toddler at the time, my participation on the forum didn’t go beyond registration. After going to the 2023 BrickCan AFOL Conference, I decided to join VLC as well to keep my LEGO fire burning and to connect with fellow AFOL.

My mom picked all of the LEGO sets for me when I was a child. But she did pick some pretty cool ones like the airport, a house, a spaceship and a few Technic sets. The one LEGO product that I utterly enjoyed was a LEGO book filled with custom builds and sets. I would read it over and over again, imagining building those MOC (I didn’t have enough bricks at the time).

The LEGO Star Wars theme got me back into LEGO as a young adult. The first two Star War sets I got were the “ 7150 TIE Fighter and Y-Wing” and the “7190: Millennium Falcon”. Star Wars is still my main collection now. I also collect a lot of LEGO Ideas(Creator Experts) and other pop culture inspired sets. You can say I have grown from a casual young adult fan of LEGO to a full fledged AFOL over the years.

Aside from my own collection, I also “help” my husband collect his Modular sets and my two boys with the Jurassic World, City, especially Trains, and Ninjago sets. I have also started collecting bricks for MOC. (I am just experimenting different types of builds these days.

That’s it from me now! Will chat again.

- Toto❤️LEGO

Toto