weight based identification of collectible minifigs

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Platypus
Brick God

weight based identification of collectible minifigs

Post by Platypus »

So with new series coming out in boxes, I hear people talking about identifying CMFs by weight. And I saw a guy at the LEGO store the other day with his little drug scale. I've had my doubts, so I asked him if he was looking for the mushroom guy and he wasn't, he passed me two "likely mushrooms" that turned out to be a dog groomer and an Olympic athlete.

I have put a number of things on my scale over the years and found that most industrial Products are not consistent in weight. But Lego pieces are. I use the scale to count bricks all the time. Even relatively large pieces have tiny variations in weight. But Lego packaging on the other hand has a relatively large variation, likeall packaging. I just happened to be breaking down a whole box of Batman series 1, so I weighed 21 foil bags and sorted them out by weight. My scale measured to 0.01 grams.

Well you can see a clear average, but the difference from the lightest package to the heaviest package is 0.11 g. That's huge, when you consider how little the difference is in various figures. I suspect the same will be true of the new cardboard boxes, and when I have enough of them lying around, I will do this again. Unless someone beats me to it. 🙂
Attachments
20240220_232959.jpg
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
Platypus
Brick God

Re: weight based identification of collectible minifigs

Post by Platypus »

PS I weighed the heaviest and lightest packs four times each, twice on two different scales, just to see if I was making an error. I then compared a whole bunch of packs on the second scale and got the exact same result.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

And of course, the paper insert is also very inconsistent.
Attachments
20240221_103604.jpg
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

And now for the whole figures. Here are 14 Fairy Batman figs. All the same figure, identified by touch.

The lowest 11.87g and the highest 12.01g. and it could have been more, in the low probability of a very heavy foil having a very heavy paper insert.
Attachments
20240221_112720.jpg