Newbie post - vintage train

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Ewodar
General Poster

Newbie post - vintage train

Post by Ewodar »

Hi folks - I'm still a newbie but have attended the last two meetings and met some cool people. This post would likely be more appropriate for VLC Trains, but since I'm not officially a member yet I can't access that forum. However, I was encouraged to write about my little vintage train motor, so...

I was telling some of you about the 1968-vintage 4.5v train engine (No. 118) that I was trying to restore to working condition. Thanks to some advice from Who, I did get it working again:
electronic118.jpg
It's whistle-controlled, stopping and starting with a short blast of a Lego-issue whistle - clapping or snapping your fingers, or even tapping on the white microphone block on top of the battery-block/tender, will also work. The microphone sends a signal to the circuit board in the transparent case on top of the motor - they're connected by metal studs underneath. Unlike the later model 138 (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/ca ... "iconly":0}) the whistle control only works going forward, not reverse - the switch on the battery-block needs to be flipped over to go backwards.

A pretty nifty example of old tech that still works. It might be cool to demonstrate at a future public event. There's a more detailed post, complete with video, on BrickTsar's YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/opYiW2Lf5Vs.

Thanks for reading,
Ewodar
Erwin a.k.a. Ewodar
"Round up the usual disclaimers"
Lil'Bricks!
General Poster

Re: Newbie post - vintage train

Post by Lil'Bricks! »

Cool!!
Melissa aka. Paul's sidekick 8)
Daveblueband
Experienced Poster

Re: Newbie post - vintage train

Post by Daveblueband »

That was really neat to see - glad you were able to restore it and get it working again!
Dave W. - VLC Membership Director