Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Pascal
Brick Overlord

Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

Post by Pascal »

Hi all,

With BrickCon coming up in days, I wanted to know if it was worth it to buy LEGO in the States. The prices are lower and they pay less tax.

I made an excel spreadsheet to work out all the price differences. The file can be found on our Facebook page: https://goo.gl/NrHFPV

Here is a link for the document on Google Docs. Please note that the exchange rate is current as of today, Sept 29, 2015. You may need to update the rates.
https://goo.gl/TpFWWP
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Re: Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

Post by Pascal »

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a new spreadsheet the will auto update the exchange rates. Since I'm on my way to BrickCon, it won't be complete until sometime after I return home. In the meantime, just use the link I provided to update the exchange rate.

*note*
The exchange rate that I used represents the rate that the bank will buy/sell the currencies. This is slightly different than the "actual" exchange rates. Because, ya know, the banks need to take their cut, right?
chump
Element God

Re: Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

Post by chump »

I believe there is an exception to this rule which is in VIP points. Spend the VIP points in the US, (and I may be wrong) because they do not differentiate between a VIP point being worth Cdn$1 or US$1. So you'll be stretching your dollar, if you spend them there.

VIP points do have an expiry date though and it's two years from the date they were earned. I got an email in the summer saying that my points would expire by the end of the year. Use 'em or lose 'em.
Pierre
VLC Member

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.