New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

TheRebricker
Master Poster

Re: New to the forum?

Post by TheRebricker »

Hi Cyndi,

It's great to have a member of Salug drop by! I will have to agree with the things you have heard, BrickCan was a pile of fun! There was a representation from (I believe it was Calgary) named the Beaver Brothers, and if you know them, then you are a better person for it, they were by far a serious part of the life of BrickCan! We look forward to BrickCan next year and hope you can make it down for it!

In the mean time, you are more than welcome to drop in on one of our meetings if you are ever in the Vancouver area on a day we have a meeting going on although summer is a little hit and miss for us as that tends to be vacation time.

I also am in agreement with JamesH statement, your build room looks fantastic!

Welcome to the forums!
- Jason
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hi Cyndi,

BrickCan was a blast (Okay I am a little biased as I am one of the organizers) and I got to meet lots of AFOLs from all over. Looking forward to meeting you so be sure to come and say hi when you come here for 2017.
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

Hi Cyndi,

Welcome to the forum! You should totally come to 2017 BrickCan!

BTW, super jelly of your Lego room. :-)

Diana
IvoryW26
New Poster

Post by IvoryW26 »

Hi,

I'm new here on the forums.

Actually from Kamloops up in the interior, but looking to get connected to some Lego train enthusiasts.

Thanks!
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

IvoryW26 wrote:Hi,

I'm new here on the forums.

Actually from Kamloops up in the interior, but looking to get connected to some Lego train enthusiasts.

Thanks!
Welcome IvoryW26! You certainly have found a group of Lego Enthusiasts! We dabble in all things Lego here. Much discussion also takes place in the members section which is for Members of the VLC, but we also engage with our very welcome visitors in helping people expand their building expertise as well as give feedback and ideas when asked for them. Feel free to share picture of builds, ask for ideas, or even challenges from other builders here. While coming out to a VLC meeting might be challenging, especially in the winter, we do welcome visitors (over the age of 18).

Looking forward to hearing more from you here, and to seeing what sorts of projects you have or will be working on.

Jason
- Jason
Ptrotter
MOC Poster

Post by Ptrotter »

IvoryW26

Welcome to the forum. I've actually got another friend up in Kamloops who is a train and Lego enthusiast as well. If you like, send me a PM and I could get you guys in contact. I would still encourage you to come down for the yearly train show, if you can, to hang out and talk with the guys down here. Unfortunately we just had the show a few weeks ago and it is almost a year away from the next one.

Thanks

Peter Trotter
I own a bit of Lego. A little obsessive by some peoples standards.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

And if you can't make the Vancouver Train Expo in 2017. AbbyLUG does Mt.Cheams Hobby and Train show in October.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Heatransfer
New Poster

Post by Heatransfer »

Hello hello!

First time poster and new member.

I rediscovered the lego bug just over a year ago and, in addition to burning holes in my wallet, looking forward to learning a bit more and more proficient as a builder... Maybe even come out and meet the local afol community.

Cheers!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Welcome Heattransfer or is that Heatransfer? In any case welcome. Get in touch with our membership director about our next meeting, if you're looking to attend. At that time, we can tell you more about our membership process.

So what themes interest you most? Or simpler, what do you like to build?
Pierre

Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Welcome heatransfer.
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

Hello Heatransfer! Welcome to the forum! :-) This is Diana. I am the membership director. Please feel free to contact me should you have any question about this forum or the club.
Heatransfer
New Poster

Post by Heatransfer »

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

Chump, it's actually a long-running username - HeaTransfer, which I mis-capitalized here. Anyways, I have limited space at home but definitely have fallen in love with the Modular buildings. Still learning lots but eventually wanting to build a modular-style building.

Is LDD (or any digital design software) the way to go? I'm amazed by the amount of talent and creativity that is on display from the stuff I'm seen online, like hamslice's work in his flickr album. I haven't downloaded LDD yet but it seems to be the best way to play around.

Cheers!
Ptrotter
MOC Poster

Post by Ptrotter »

I don't know if I would recommend LDD for just playing around. I'm the type of guy who likes to actually play around with real bricks. I think it's more fun that way, but if you do not have the pieces give it a try.

There are all sorts though. LDD does allow you to do a piece count if you plan on doing a project of sorts. You can then take those amounts to brick-link and gather parts to make it reality.

Building in the computer does miss some things with regards to strength of structure if you do not have the experience in the real world.
I own a bit of Lego. A little obsessive by some peoples standards.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

I Agree with ptrotter, getting your hands on the real stuff to see what you can make is always best. But LDD does have its uses, I'm working on a few modulors and built the bass work for them with LDD to see how much of a brick i would need to order, or how colors look together, I mainly do this while traveling so I can build and design while away from my lego.
Kyler
Brick Deity

New to the forum?

Post by Kyler »

Hello everyone, but especially to those of you who are relatively new to the forums (who most of us don't know yet).

My name is Kyler and (while I'm not new to the forums) I am new to the role of Membership Director.

As such, I'd like to remind all the newer folks that this thread is an ideal place to introduce yourself; let us know what part of the Lower Mainland you're from, and what LEGO themes you like to build or collect.

Our members meet on a monthly basis (meeting dates appear in the overhead calendar, once confirmed) but since we don't publicly advertise their locations, please send me a private message (or e-mail) if you would like to attend a club meeting.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
moore_99
Experienced Poster

Post by moore_99 »

Hi everyone,

My name is John and I'm new to the VLC forums. I live in Surrey (5 minutes from the Guildford Lego store) and while I've been interested in Lego my entire life and have dabbled here and there over the years I began MOCing seriously about 12 years ago.

I mostly collect Star Wars and super heroes (truth be told, mainly for the minifigs) and I mostly MOC military...military history has always been an area of interest for me and that has spilled over to my Lego builds. I've also begun to build some 8-wide fire trucks and I may continue down that path.

I was a full delegate at last years and this year’s BrickCan and I had an opportunity to speak with several of the VLC members. Everyone I spoke to was very welcoming and all suggested I get involved with the VLC. I've always been a solo builder but I can definitely see the advantages to being part of the larger community. I look forward to chatting with you and possibly becoming part of the VLC.

John
John N.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

moore_99 wrote:Hi everyone,

My name is John and I'm new to the VLC forums. I live in Surrey (5 minutes from the Guildford Lego store) and while I've been interested in Lego my entire life and have dabbled here and there over the years I began MOCing seriously about 12 years ago.

I mostly collect Star Wars and super heroes (truth be told, mainly for the minifigs) and I mostly MOC military...military history has always been an area of interest for me and that has spilled over to my Lego builds. I've also begun to build some 8-wide fire trucks and I may continue down that path.

I was a full delegate at last years and this year’s BrickCan and I had an opportunity to speak with several of the VLC members. Everyone I spoke to was very welcoming and all suggested I get involved with the VLC. I've always been a solo builder but I can definitely see the advantages to being part of the larger community. I look forward to chatting with you and possibly becoming part of the VLC.

John
Welcome to the forums John! Your military stuff was amazing!
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

timtosino wrote:Welcome to the forums John! Your military stuff was amazing!
Yes, welcome to the forums, and thanks for the introduction.

We'll probably be having our next club meeting in the next couple weeks (date and locations for the next few months are just being locked down) and I encourage you to try and make it out to meet more of us.

As Membership Director, I'll be in touch once our next meeting location is set in stone.
moore_99
Experienced Poster

Post by moore_99 »

Kyler wrote:
timtosino wrote:Welcome to the forums John! Your military stuff was amazing!
Yes, welcome to the forums, and thanks for the introduction.

We'll probably be having our next club meeting in the next couple weeks (date and locations for the next few months are just being locked down) and I encourage you to try and make it out to meet more of us.

As Membership Director, I'll be in touch once our next meeting location is set in stone.
Thanks...I look forward to hearing from you with regards to your next meeting
John N.
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Good to see you on the forums John,Your military mocs are wonderful.I hope you enjoy the VLC.

,Andrew
Lego trains are just the best!
KenmoreThompson
MOC Poster

Post by KenmoreThompson »

I met some of you guys at BrickCan and this evening's VLC meeting, so I might as well finally do an intro ...

If we've met I may have introduced myself as either Josh or Kenmore in person. I'm originally from Newfoundland, though I've lived a few different places outside of Canada in recent years. Moved to Burnaby about five months ago, and as of this week I finally have all my lego in one place for the first time in over a decade.

I've historically enjoyed building space stuff, though lately I've been really taken with the idea of rendering mundane scenes in Lego. City streets, apartment blocks, city parks, etc. Looking forward to building lots of custom modulars in the near future, though I'm also planning a modernized Aquanaut build in case I'm able to attend BrickCon in October (roughly akin to the Galaxy Explorer 2.0 that someone displayed at BrickCan this year).

I definitely hope to get to know you all better online and in person in the coming months.
jeffrose
MOC Poster

Post by jeffrose »

Welcome aboard Kenmore! Looking forward to talking to you at some future meetings.
VLC - Technical Director Since 2018
Owner of: Brick Brains and BricksAndLinks
cdp
New Poster

Post by cdp »

Hi Everyone!

New to the forum but I know a few of you. I go by cdp, but my name is Carlos.

Long time lego fan, but only in the past couple years have I had the means ( and some form of time) to get back into it. Really enjoying the modular building sets and working on some MOCs, and who knows may throw something on Lego IDEAS if they turn out. Also creating lego addicts out of my kids which is an awesome.

See you in the forums (and who knows.. maybe one day at a VLC meeting when time permits)
C
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Welcome Carlos!

It's expensive enough being a LEGO addict yourself, you have to turn your kids into them too? Or is this some nefarious double down scheme to be able to claim all that LEGO back when they go through their dark ages? :)
Pierre

Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Yes, welcome!
(I finally got you on the forums. :lol: )
chump wrote:Welcome Carlos!

It's expensive enough being a LEGO addict yourself, you have to turn your kids into them too? Or is this some nefarious double down scheme to be able to claim all that LEGO back when they go through their dark ages? :)
I think Carlos and I have the same hopes - that our kids will let us take back all the LEGO we get them.
(Understantably I'll have to buy back any that they purchased or received as birthday/christmas gifts) :)