It has been built! Akiyuki's Ball Factory

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

TheRebricker
Master Poster

It has been built! Akiyuki's Ball Factory

Post by TheRebricker »

Ever been in absolute mesmerized awe of Akiyuki's Ball Factory? I know i was. So much so that over the last two years, I drooled over it and studied it to no end. The result? I built my own, slightly modified to also allow for it to be a stand alone model, but holding as true to his original design as possible. And then? I took it all apart in order to develop and share building instructions. Let me tell you it's quite the challenge to build! In fact, even with directions, the feedback I am getting is that it can be frustrating as you progress through it as even the slightest bit of friction where it shouldn't be or the smallest timing offset can cause all kinds of problems.

I currently have it built and sitting on my desk. I'm in the Vancouver area and have always loved Lego. I'm not a LUG member, nor do I think my schedule would allow for that, but I wanted to come here and share this creation with you all. My wife works for the Surrey Public Library system and they have regular Lego programs for kids to drop in on. There was a request for me to bring this project to a future program to show the kids what can be done. If any of you are interested in seeing it without having to build it yourself, I will try and post the day and time that I plan to be there, but no date is set just yet.

If you'd rather build it yourself and have the right 3200 pieces, here are the instructions:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... -YcsGWGCOC

I enjoy seeing the various builds you all do and hope to continue to see the growth of Lego continue in this digital age!

~TheRebricker
- Jason
chump
Element God

Re: It has been built! Akiyuki's Ball Factory

Post by chump »

That's fabulous. What an awesome first post!

If you want to have this displayed at Mini-Maker Faire Vancouver on June 6th and 7th, let me know. Although you would want to make sure it's robust enough to handle two days of working which as you describe it probably isn't yet. PM me, if that's something you would be interested in and I'll shoot you more details.

The great thing about our club is that usually our members can help you find ways of making it better. Not in a negative way and usually only if solicited. But that's what a lot of adults who build with LEGO are missing. Someone to bounce ideas off of when something isn't quite working the way you think it should. Maybe it's a new or old piece that you weren't aware of, or a connection point that could be tweaked.

Membership is really what you want to put into it. Some people show up for everything, some once a year and everyone else in between. So don't necessarily think that getting involved is going to be all time consuming.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Chump,

Thanks for the welcome and the offer of support. Don't get me wrong, this project was not without its frustrations, but truth be told I can turn it on and more or less walk away although I wouldn't walk far. :wink:

At the Mini Maker Faire would it be integrated in with a GBC circuit or as a stand alone project? I will have to check my schedule and see how that will work out.

Between now and then though I plan to disassemble it to start on my next "Rebricker" project so I will need to be sure I have time to rebuild it. I have complete confidence in my ability to get it up and running as I have done it a few times now.

Please send me the details of the Mini Maker Faire and I'll let you know if I can squeeze it in.

I guess this should have been posted under MOCs. Sorry.
- Jason
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

We're in the stages of deciding what we want to do and bring there. I'm assuming you're familiar with Maker Faire and your GBC speaks to that audience. Usually we occupy a 10'x20' space but there may be a possibility to have a bigger space.

Yours would be a stand alone, as we don't have any GBC modules. Usually we bring MOCs that are cool, kinetic, whimsical and appeal to the Makers. It's a great opportunity to show people who appreciate the complexity and effort put into what you built. I still have to run it by the other members first.

www.makerfaire.ca

Setup is on Friday night. It runs about 10-5pm Sat and Sun and then you would need to be there for teardown. We usually have at least 2 or 3 members at the booth at any given time to troubleshoot, answer questions and generally watch over our stuff. It's pretty casual, as we're not selling anything or trying to get a message out. You'll have time to walk around and check out the rest of the faire.

Last year, we built onsite a non-modular GBC, but we used the less standard zamor spheres because we had a huge box full of them. We've been meaning to have a modular GBC contest, so we'll have to hurry up and have that before you join. :)
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

incredible ability to reverse engineer that !!! . I hope you bring that to a meeting to see it in person !!
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

For those looking to see the ball factory in person, I have a few places it will be on display over the next month or so:

Saturday May 23rd 2:30pm - 3:30pm at the Newton Public Library (Surrey Public Library, Newton Branch)
June 6th - 7th Vancouver Mini Maker Faire - Thank you all by the way for the invite to attend!
June 27th - Times to be confirmed but so far, looking like it will be 2:00pm - 3:00pm - Guildford Public Library (Surrey Public Library, Guildford Branch)

After these shows I may be taking it apart for a while so I too can enjoy building it all over again in the future! :)

Hope to see you all eventually and share this build and it's hypnotic mechanisms with you soon.

TheRebricker
- Jason
LadyKona
General Poster

Post by LadyKona »

Aside from the Maker Faire, do you think there is a chance hat it will make another Vancouver appearance before you disassemble?

!Kona
Lady !Kona
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

There will also be the June 27th Lego time at the Guildford public library 2:30-3:30 pm.
- Jason
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

TheRebricker wrote:There will also be the June 27th Lego time at the Guildford public library 2:30-3:30 pm.
Unfortunately I just missed seeing your ball machine on Saturday. :( (We arrived shortly after 3pm).
Apparently I should've asked for clarification as to whether the time change in your most recent post was intentional or accidental. Oh well.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Oh no! I'm sorry you missed it! The timing was at the mercy of the librarian in charge. I was watching for you as you had mentioned you were going to come by. This was all part of your Lego day through all the events in the Surrey area, correct?

Did I catch your original post as well, are you in the North Vancouver area? I have yet to take it apart, so there may be a chance to see it yet. I have no plans to show it at any more events just yet, but perhaps something could be arranged.

I hope the rest of your Lego day went well! Perhaps PM me and let's see what we can work out.
- Jason
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

I've sent you a PM Jason :-)
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)