New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

AC
Brick God

Re: New to the forum?

Post by AC »

You posted at 12:09 pm on a week night. I thought I was the only one up at this hour. Glad you made it down. Sorry we did not meet. I think our next meeting is on the 5th of November if you want to come and check it out. We are also putting some town stuff together for a show out in Chilliwack in a couple weeks if you are up for going out that way. Let us know we can get you the info.
hugandkiss
General Poster

Post by hugandkiss »

I have my own home-based business, so I keep odd hours sometimes.

As for the show in Chilliwack... I'm guessing you mean the train and hobby show at the heritage hall? I go to that one every year!
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Well, maybe we will see you there.
kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Post by kennymatic »

Hi all,

I guess I should introduce myself now that I've been going through the forum a bit. I'm Kenny and am from Vancouver, currently residing in Burnaby. I've just been getting back in to LEGO in the past 1-2 years after a significant absence since my childhood (I don't count the small binge in the mid 90s when the first Star Wars sets first came out).

I'm still too much of a noob to come up with any really clever MOCs, plus I'm still building up my brick set. Just when you think you have enough bricks to put an idea together, you come to the brutal realization that you really don't have that much LEGO. I currently focus on vignettes and general scenes with minifigs but do intend to start putting some MOCs together.

I appreciate all LEGO but City (all themes) is probably my favorite theme followed closely by Castles (Kingdoms just doesn't do it for me) Harry Potter and Pirates. I also like Space Police III, World Racers, Toy Story and Indiana Jones. Not a huge Star Wars fan, but I do get suckered into those sets just cause they're cool.

The Atlantis theme annoys me hehe.

You can check out some of my LEGO photography projects here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwl/sets/7 ... 544311963/
and here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwl/sets/7 ... 226236207/
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

Hi Kennymatic,
Nice to meet you. Your Flickr photos are very nice and pretty funny. Love the Ostrich upgrade. Stick around these guys in the club and your collection will definatley grow
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Welcome to the forums Kenny. I've always enjoyed your photostreams on flickr as well as your other photography. Can't wait to see what you come up with in Series 3!
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Oh I forgot to mention if you want to meet us at a meeting the next one is next week on Friday in Richmond :).
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

You should come check things out. We are doing a gift exchange called the dirty brickster with a $15.00 to $20.00 limit that night. If you are cool with checking things out and watching that go down or even taking part you are welcome to join in.
kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Post by kennymatic »

Cool thanks. What normally goes on at these meetings?
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

At the moment it looks like we'll be talking about some upcomming shows in 2011, Series 3 figs, doing our gift exchange. There's also benefits to being a regular member that you just have to see like drafts etc and programs LEGO does exclusively for LUGS.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

Hey all,

I'm Jonathan! I just signed up and can't wait to get to know everyone. I'm almost 16 and my passion for Lego gets stronger every time I pick up a brick. I have seen your guys work at the museum (many times) And I have a question. Is anyone from the forms aloud to contribute? :?
They called me loser... I called me BrickStar
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Jonathan S. wrote:Hey all,

I'm Jonathan! I just signed up and can't wait to get to know everyone. I'm almost 16 and my passion for Lego gets stronger every time I pick up a brick. I have seen your guys work at the museum (many times) And I have a question. Is anyone from the forms aloud to contribute? :?
To take part in one of our big shows you would need to be a member. The forum is open to the public (at least the public forum is) and you are welcome to chat and ask questions. Do you have a brickshelf or flickr acount?
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

AC wrote:
Jonathan S. wrote:Hey all,

To take part in one of our big shows you would need to be a member. The forum is open to the public (at least the public forum is) and you are welcome to chat and ask questions. Do you have a brickshelf or flickr acount?

I have a brick shelf account. I don't think I can get on tho, due to me not being 17 yet. Which btw is really dumb.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Jonathan, just saying .... your avatar is kind of creepy.
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Aw Allan ,hes just in his teenage angst years,when we were 16 ,the few jean jacketed guys were requesting me to draw them metallica and iron maiden junk on their jackets or school books ,almost old tolkien like .Jonathan 's avatar is.sure has time to post alot,and some impressive builds for someone younger.

Good to have you on the forums JS.

,Andrew :wink:
Lego trains are just the best!
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

Thanks guys.
brankell5566
MOC Poster

New to VLC

Post by brankell5566 »

Hello, I am a LEGO fan from Vancouver BC. My name is Brandon. :lol: One quick question. how come I cannot view some of the 'special access' forums? Do I need to reach a certain post number to be able to view the forums? Thanks in advance! :)
RadStar
Master Poster

Re: New to VLC

Post by RadStar »

You need to become a bona fide member of the Vancouver Lego Club, in order to access the special access forum.
To do so.. come to one of our meeting, be a decent AFOL (meaning you aren't an @#&%$ or creep), pay the 1 time fee of $10, and thats about it I think...
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

There is a public forum that fans of Lego can join and chat with us and each other about Lego and there is a Member forum for those of use that have a VLC membership. The VLC is primarily an AFOL LUG that provides an environment for AFOLs and mature TFOLs to get together and appreciate our wonderful hobby. 8)

Now that is the formal way of saying it. Some of the VLC members that are adults are not all that mature. We have had much discussion on the topic of who can and can't become a member. To gain access to the member forum you would first need to be a member. If you are an adult this is easy. We are having a meeting later this month and you could come out to that and register as a member. If you are not an adult it gets a little more complicated. :D
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

Thanks for the info. But unfortunately I am not an AFOL, just a TFOL. Maybe in a few years...
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Nice to meet you Brandon.

Do you have any pictures on flickr? What kind of stuff do you build?
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

Platypus wrote:Nice to meet you Brandon.

I do have a Flickr account, in fact. However, I am not as active and my photographs are usually just random LEGO creations that I build for contests and such. Someday I will be like many people in the LEGO Flickr pool and build amazing MOCs. When I finish school, I am hoping to go work for the LEGO group as a product designer in Billund working with Jamie Berard wow (don't laugh at me :oops: ). I'm sure most of you probably have dreams of working for LEGO too, lol. Okay I am staring to ramble here, anyways thanks for the warm welcomes to this forum!

-Brandon
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

brankell5566 wrote:

I do have a Flickr account, in fact. However, I am not as active and my photographs are usually just random LEGO creations that I build for contests and such. Someday I will be like many people in the LEGO Flickr pool and build amazing MOCs. When I finish school, I am hoping to go work for the LEGO group as a product designer in Billund working with Jamie Berard wow (don't laugh at me :oops: ). I'm sure most of you probably have dreams of working for LEGO too, lol. Okay I am staring to ramble here, anyways thanks for the warm welcomes to this forum!

-Brandon
That is an awesome goal Brandon. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to witnessing you acheive your dream. If you can make it down to Brickcon in Seattle you may be able to meet some Lego designers and other key people in the company. Perhaps one day you will usher in the return of classic grey and monorail pieces :)

Play Well
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

soundwave wrote:
brankell5566 wrote:

-Brandon
That is an awesome goal Brandon. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to witnessing you acheive your dream. If you can make it down to Brickcon in Seattle you may be able to meet some Lego designers and other key people in the company. Perhaps one day you will usher in the return of classic grey and monorail pieces :)

Play Well
Thanks, I hope to achieve it someday. Speaking of monorails, a few days ago I saw a Craigslist ad with the ever so infamous LEGO Airport Shuttle for a whopping $50. This listing also includes 3 other bins of sorted bit and pieces of LEGO. It was such an amazing deal, I started at the page in shock for 15 minutes. This thing goes for over $300 on Bricklink. But unfortunately, this got sold in less than 24 hours. :x
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

brankell5566 wrote: It was such an amazing deal, I started at the page in shock for 15 minutes. This thing goes for over $300 on Bricklink. But unfortunately, this got sold in less than 24 hours. :x
I've seen some Craigslist Lego postings go in as little as 10-15 minutes. It's like..."but you just... posted it." And they're like, "Yup. Somebody contacted me about it already."
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.