New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

AC
Brick God

New to the forum?

Post by AC »

If you are new to the VLC forum please feel free to sign up. If you you do sign up please fill in the form and let us know what city you are from and what themes of models you like to build or collect. These you can fill in under Location and Interests. Looking forward to seeing your posts.
JamesH
Master Poster

Re: New to the forum?

Post by JamesH »

Hey, I'm new to the forum and AFOL stuff in general. As I'm sure is quite common, I've started tinkering with things as our son is now old enough to be playing with lego. I dug out my old stuff and eventually ended up ordering Cafe Corner.

I'm from Vancouver (in Kits) and I don't really have any specific area of interst, more just what building what our son suggests and is intersted in.

I've been currious what the local 'scene' is like (if any?)..

Cheers,
- James
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hi James, welcome. Feel free to ask any questions, we will do our best to answer. If you would like to come out to a meeting let us know and we will give you the info you need. :)
legofactory
MOC Poster

Post by legofactory »

Hi ! I guess i should give a proper intro to myself. I'm mainly a Star Wars Fan / Collector. I do collect a few indy and the really cool looking city exclusive sets like the sold out winter toy shop.

I'm from Burnaby (city east of vancouver) and buy lego sets on sale 90% of the time. Yes i'm cheap, but i can't afford so many of them if i pay them at retail as they are so expensive.

PLUS - I'm almost to 200 posts woo !!!!!!
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Thanks legofactory. I rarely buy at full retail unless I know it will be next to imposible to get a set I want at sales prices and pick-a-brick, but that's a beast of a different kind. :)
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

AC wrote:Hi James, welcome. Feel free to ask any questions, we will do our best to answer. If you would like to come out to a meeting let us know and we will give you the info you need. :)
Thanks Alan. What's a typical meeting like and how often do you have them?

I'm in more of a 'puttering'/learning stage but something like that might inspire me ;)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

JamesH wrote:
AC wrote:Hi James, welcome. Feel free to ask any questions, we will do our best to answer. If you would like to come out to a meeting let us know and we will give you the info you need. :)
Thanks Alan. What's a typical meeting like and how often do you have them?

I'm in more of a 'puttering'/learning stage but something like that might inspire me ;)

:) The meetings take place every month (members are not required to attend every month) and we show off our latest Creations or MOCs. We also talk about shows, new sets. We have contests from time to time. For the most part we just enjoy the hobby and everything that is involved with that. Members do not have to have a huge collection to get involved. Those that take part in the shows on different levels reep the benifits---more lego. :wink:
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

AC wrote: :) The meetings take place every month (members are not required to attend every month) and we show off our latest Creations or MOCs. We also talk about shows, new sets. We have contests from time to time. For the most part we just enjoy the hobby and everything that is involved with that. Members do not have to have a huge collection to get involved. those that take part in thew show on different levels reep the benifits---more lego. :wink:
Sounds like fun. I'd love to drop by if you're having one in the new year.

Cheers,
- James
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Sounds good James. We will let you know when they are set up. We go month to month and are most often on a Friday. :)
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

Thanks Alan, looking forward to it.
jcalhoun
New Poster

Post by jcalhoun »

Hey all,

Your newest member here: I discovered the forum a few weekends ago when I was looking for deals on lego for my girlfriend's eight year-old son. I have just returned from Toys R US (both Coquitlam & Surrey) and the buy one, get another at half off sale, and wanted to say thank-you to those of you that post updates in the 'sales' forum.

The kid's birthday is in August. Last year I bought him the entire run of Lego City Construction, and he loved it. Being 32 and not a collector of lego when I was younger, I'd forgotten just how much fun lego is, and the both of us really enjoy building and playing with it (though my contribution tends to be paying for it, then sorting it as he builds). I was never a fan of Star Wars, so I resisted buying him those sets for the longest time, but gave in this last Christmas, after noticing that all his own creations were 'ships' that made sounds like 'pew-pew'. So he got an X-wing, Vader's Tie Fighter, Echo Base, and the two little clone sets for Christmas.

Tonight I bought him The Battle of Endor Set, The Home One Star Crusier Set, Annakin's Y Wing, & The Republic Attack Shuttle --these will be hidden away against his birthday and Christmas this year. I have to admit, I really enjoy getting these sets for him, because I know how much fun he's going to have with them.

Regarding the ToysRUs sale, if you buy two items of equal value, it works out to 25% off, which is a pretty good sale. However, right around Christmas I recall 30% off sales at Sears, etc. Still very new to hunting out Lego sales, so I'll ask you all --should I expect more and or better sales throughout the year? Also, how often does Lego release new sets? Ie, the new Star Wars sets have just come out --is there a set time for the next round?

Anyway, that's me.

Cheers,

James
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Welcome, James!
jcalhoun wrote:Regarding the ToysRUs sale, if you buy two items of equal value, it works out to 25% off, which is a pretty good sale. However, right around Christmas I recall 30% off sales at Sears, etc. Still very new to hunting out Lego sales, so I'll ask you all --should I expect more and or better sales throughout the year?
I find that ToysRUs has the biggest selection in store. TRU usually has 20% off selected themes - I'd say in the weeks leading up to and after Christmas. Once in a while, they'll offer a bigger discount on one specific set.

Zellers might have buy one get one half off (BOGO 50%) 3-4 times a year, but their selection and stock levels are often limited.

Personally, I find it hard to take advantage of Sears' sales because stores don't have very much LEGO, and their online selection is limited too.

Maybe others can pipe in with their experiences?
Also, how often does Lego release new sets? Ie, the new Star Wars sets have just come out --is there a set time for the next round?
In general, LEGO releases sets in two rounds. Most of the upcoming year's new LEGO sets show up on store shelves just after Christmas or in January. They might have another round of new releases mid-year. Of course, this doesn't include LEGO "exclusives" which first appear on their website, and this could happen throughout the year.

If you follow along on the various LEGO fan websites, such as http://www.brothers-brick.com, you'll come across news about new sets.
-Bryan
legofactory
MOC Poster

Post by legofactory »

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,
Your newest member here: I discovered the forum a few weekends ago when I was looking for deals on lego for my girlfriend's eight year-old son. I have just returned from Toys R US (both Coquitlam & Surrey) and the buy one, get another at half off sale, and wanted to say thank-you to those of you that post updates in the 'sales' forum.
Your welcome and hope you enjoy the sale. Toysrus rarely has BOGO 1/2 price.
jcalhoun wrote:Regarding the ToysRUs sale, if you buy two items of equal value, it works out to 25% off, which is a pretty good sale. However, right around Christmas I recall 30% off sales at Sears, etc. Still very new to hunting out Lego sales, so I'll ask you all --should I expect more and or better sales throughout the year?
Sears does have pretty good sales but like Gumby pointed out, there selection is somewhat lacking. The same goes for london drugs, superstore and winners.

Toysrus from our records had 1 major star wars sale last year and that was in February 2009. They had Buy 2 or more and save 25% off. The rest of the time, they only did small discounts on star wars sets such as count dooku solar sailer, and the twilight. Generally around Christmas, toysrus has 20% off sales.
jcalhoun wrote:Also, how often does Lego release new sets? Ie, the new Star Wars sets have just come out --is there a set time for the next round?
Lego sets are usually released in 2 waves. One in January and the other in Summer. Star Wars tends to be a bit later at around August. Occasionly, a few sets do get release in a random month such as the Tantive which was released in September.

The next round of Star Wars is due in August. You can keep updated by visiting our website or forums. There we have all the rumored sets, prices, pictures and more.
hugandkiss
General Poster

Post by hugandkiss »

Hi everyone,

I'm new too (though I've been lurking around for about two years now). I've been a Lego fan my whole life, but lost interest in my late teens. Then when my brother (who's 15 years younger than me) became interested in Lego I gave him all my old sets (which I sort of regret now). About 3 years ago I logged onto the Lego website for the first time to buy my brother some sets for Christmas.... that's when I saw the Green Grocer and fell back in love with Lego. Since then I've spent a whole lot of money to rebuild my collection and my brother and I are constantly talking about all the latest sets.

Anyway, just thought I'd finally sign up and introduce myself.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

I greatly appreciate the hillarity of your "introducing yourself" without a name, Hugandkiss.

And welcome to the forum!
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Welcome. Let us know if you would like to check out a meeting sometime. :D
hugandkiss
General Poster

Post by hugandkiss »

Maybe my parents were hippies and my name is actually Hugandkiss!! (That'd be a hard life)

I'm Nikki :)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

So you liked Green Grocer, does that mean you are into town models or are your interests broader? :D
hugandkiss
General Poster

Post by hugandkiss »

I'm mostly interested in all the town and city sets. I can admire all Lego, but my dream is to create a really great city.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Hi Nikki,

I guess I should not have assumed that your name wasn't hugandkiss, but it seemed like a safe bet...

Now that you are posting on the forum, the next step too coming out of the LEGO closet is to come and check out a meeting. There is one tomorrow night and they are usually monthly on a Friday night or sometimes Saturday afternoon.

There is also a big LEGO convention next weekend in Seattle, which is worth checking out if you are looking for a reason to go South.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
hugandkiss
General Poster

Post by hugandkiss »

A meeting sounds like fun. Where are they usually held?

I will be heading to Seattle for BrickCon next weekend and I'm really excited! I wanted to go last year, but wasn't able to make it. Does the Vancouver Lego Club have a display there this year?
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

Hi Nikki,
We usually rotate the meeting place each month to different memebers houses. Usually it is in Vancouver, Burnaby, or Surrey.
Our club will have a colaberative display this year at Brickcon. A few of us will also have some individual displays as well.
Are you attending the whole weekend?
We look forward to meeting you.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
hugandkiss
General Poster

Post by hugandkiss »

I'll likely just go one day (I'm thinking Saturday), but that's not 100% for sure yet. Either way I'll be sure to find the VLC and introduce myself.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hey Nikki, did you end up making it down to the Con?
hugandkiss
General Poster

Post by hugandkiss »

Yes I did and it was great! I found the VLC display, but it was SO insanely busy I couldn't even get close enough to say hello! It looked like there was only one guy behind the table... he was wearing an orange t-shirt.

Anyway, great job everyone!