My Belated Santa

Announce your latest and greatest MOCS.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Sid

My Belated Santa

Post by Sid »

Here is my santa.

Actually, I should make it clear that the design is clearly taken from Eric Harshbargers collection of santas.

As my first attempt at a sizable sculpture without instructions, I am quite pleased with the results. For those who wish to see him in person, he is currently on display in the front window of It's All Fun and Games on Commercial drive.

Now to begin collecting the blue pieces needed for my next project..
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

Very nice . whats all the blue for ?
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Sid

Post by Sid »

As Lego pulls me back to my childhood, I choose Santa for my first decent sized sculpture as we always used to make Christmas displays when I was young. I was hoping to bring him home for the holidays, but he got much too large and heavy to travel easily.

Looking for my next idea, another childhood toy came to mind that I haven't seen any sculptures of, the wonderful little smurfs. I figure its a good place to start, can follow a smurf with the cat and Gargamel. Not sure if the local toystore will want to display them.. Unfortunately a lot of my blue is "inside" santa for support for now.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

try duplo . any of my big landscaping i just fill it up with duplo or quatrro . duplo sticks together better then quattro though
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Sid

Post by Sid »

Now that is something I would not have thought have. And it's an excuse to buy duplo for myself, should lighten up the smurf significantly.

It would have probably made a decent change in santa too as most of the back half of his head/hat are solid to get the top of his head on without imploding it.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

When building in Duplo . Make sure to use 2x4 or bigger . the 2x2 don't have nearly the sticking power . Also any critical joint make sure you re-enforce with regular bricks . Duplo is easy to find used to at salvation armys and value villages . I only started collecting duplo like 2 years ago and i have over 2 x 2 x 2 cubic feet of it .

But even how big it is its amazing how fast it gets used up still :)
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi