WIP - VW Bug - looking for feedback

Announce your latest and greatest MOCS.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Bricksky
Brick Overlord

WIP - VW Bug - looking for feedback

Post by Bricksky »

I am sharing this WIP with you because your opinion is important to me, and i want to hear if their are things I can do to improve this creation before I share it with the rest of the world rotflol

VW Right
VW Right
VW Left
VW Left
VW Back
VW Back
VW Trunk
VW Trunk
VW Engine
VW Engine
VW - Top off
VW - Top off
VW trunk Vr 1
VW trunk Vr 1
I am also considering this alternative Trunk detail...
VW trunk V2 2
VW trunk V2 2
Thoughts? Is it just too much?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Tyler

PS. I will be doing a review of a similar vehicle soon, and made this miniature version of it for fun and in anticipation of the review.
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Re: WIP - VW Bug - looking for feedback

Post by TheRebricker »

Looking great! Especially with the new Creator set coming out, I love the look. Very recognizable!
- Jason
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

I really like it! Well done Tyler.

In the shots from above, it does look like it's riding a bit low, but on the side shots, the ground clearance looks perfect.
Rhymes with Lettuce
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Great job! Not easily done with all the curves the bug has. I like it.
bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Post by bricksare4me »

I am seriously luvin its colour. imho, I prefer trunk version 1. U can park this puppy at my Lego House! ;)
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I thought I saw one of these a week or two ago but you wrote work in progress so that means that it wasn't likely yours. So I did a quick search to see if my mind was playing tricks on me.

http://www.brickshow.tv/news/2016/06/th ... d-turners/

There's another mini one on LEGO ideas which is not as elegant.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

But as for feedback in comparison, I like the front third of his and the back 2/3rds of yours better. However, in now comparing it to the LEGO model and not my fuzzy recollection of what the VW Bug I think looks like in real life, maybe you did capture the shape just as well.

My apologies if you didn't want to see the other one. In hindsight, I realize that some people would rather not see other's creations so as not to be accused of taking elements from the other. However, it's common for people to want to do different scale models of official models, so while the idea is the same, the implementation is different.

V2 of the trunk is probably too much. I think it's fine without that extra detail. As Dave worded it, selective compression. Realize what needs to be there and what doesn't need to be there, to represent what it is you're trying to model.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
chump wrote:I thought I saw one of these a week or two ago but you wrote work in progress so that means that it wasn't likely yours.
So I did a quick search to see if my mind was playing tricks on me.

http://www.brickshow.tv/news/2016/06/th ... d-turners/

There's another mini one on LEGO ideas which is not as elegant.
Thanks for the references Pierre. I'm really liking that Chibi one. I did see that one online while I was building mine. I was searching for some lego reference images and came across it. it almost made me stop building mine as it is the same scale and color. After seeing it and deciding to continue I just had to NOT look at it for fear of making mine too similar. In the end though, it does appear that we both came up with the same solutions for some parts, like the bumpers and roof line. However I built mine with the intention of placing two mini-dolls in it, I don't think that one can accommodate any figs.

bricksare4me wrote:I am seriously luvin its colour. imho, I prefer trunk version 1. U can park this puppy at my Lego House! ;)
Thank you for responding to that question in my post. I like it too, but am still torn, as I like the detail on trunk 2.0, but also really like the smooth lines of the first one.

AC wrote:Great job! Not easily done with all the curves the bug has. I like it.
It has been quite a journey to figure all the curves out . I'm fairly happy with it now, but may still tweak the shape a little more. I am not too happy with the window pillars, but I can't think of any other way to do it if I want to keep the color scheme, and also do the curve from the body at 6 studs wide, to the roof at 4 studs wide.

Lettuce wrote:In the shots from above, it does look like it's riding a bit low, but on the side shots, the ground clearance looks perfect.
I think that is because of where the bumper is attached, which makes it ride just a tad lower than the fenders. At one point I tried to place them a little higher, but it threw off the hood line, so I settled on this configuration as good enough.

TheRebricker wrote:Looking great! Especially with the new Creator set coming out, I love the look. Very recognizable!
Awesome, that was the idea. I wanted it to be recognizable as an attempt to recreate the Creator set in mini-doll scale. I plan to use it in my upcoming review of the creator set (if it gets delivered soon!).
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Bricksky wrote:I plan to use it in my upcoming review of the creator set (if it gets delivered soon!).
Hopefully it's not coming with Canada Post.... :roll:
- Jason
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

TheRebricker wrote:Hopefully it's not coming with Canada Post.... :roll:
Nope. Lego delivers all their review sets via DHL. Should get here any day now! I suspect it could have got held up in customs while crossing through the Canadian border... wouldn't be the first time...
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Gotta protect all us nice Canadians from the evils of plastic blocks!
- Jason
bobabricks
Experienced Poster

Post by bobabricks »

Awesome little build! I'm sure it'll look pretty cute next to the creator model.
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

Smart way of getting the edges around those windscreens!