Micro Jungle

Announce your latest and greatest MOCS.

Moderator: VLC Directors

kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Micro Jungle

Post by kodakcole »

Hi All,

I just finished a quick little micro MOC that I wanted to share. I found these monkeys (and some other new stuff) in the Guildford minifig bins. Naturally, I had to make the little guy a home :)

Here's a link to my flickr album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136037764 ... 3692326161
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Re: Micro Jungle

Post by Bricksky »

Noice! ...potential Fall-Out shelter Jungle / Zoo room?!

Unfortunately, the colors are wrong. To get better results, set up your camera to either Autodetect the lighting, or set it to match the lighting where you took the photo. If your camera allows you to set it manually, then when images turn out to be more on the orange/brown side the lighting setting should be tungsten. If the image result is blueish, try Flourescent.

I will also sent you a PM shortly on setting the image size in a VLC forum post.

;)
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

Looks great Nicole!

I love the river and the way it goes underground in the bottom right.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

You can also colour correct existing photos using Flickr's own built in tools. I think they use Aviary. Just play around with the colour temperatures.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

Bricksky wrote:Noice! ...potential Fall-Out shelter Jungle / Zoo room?!

Unfortunately, the colors are wrong. To get better results, set up your camera to either Autodetect the lighting, or set it to match the lighting where you took the photo. If your camera allows you to set it manually, then when images turn out to be more on the orange/brown side the lighting setting should be tungsten. If the image result is blueish, try Flourescent.

I will also sent you a PM shortly on setting the image size in a VLC forum post.

;)
Thanks Tyler,
I just started using the manual settings on my camera so I could definitely use some tips. I will set up my light box and try again using different lighting settings :) If I'm still having difficulty maybe I'll bring my camera to the next meeting? I use a Nikon D3100, what camera(s) do you use?
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

JamesH wrote:Looks great Nicole!

I love the river and the way it goes underground in the bottom right.

Heh, love that you noticed that, thank you
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

chump wrote:You can also colour correct existing photos using Flickr's own built in tools. I think they use Aviary. Just play around with the colour temperatures.
Thanks Pierre, I will use that editing tool too, good to know! Can't wait to play around with it
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

kodakcole wrote:If I'm still having difficulty maybe I'll bring my camera to the next meeting? I use a Nikon D3100...
If you're willing to do post-processing, you should try shooting in RAW format.
That way you can select your white balance afterwards. :-)
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

Kyler wrote:
kodakcole wrote:If I'm still having difficulty maybe I'll bring my camera to the next meeting? I use a Nikon D3100...
If you're willing to do post-processing, you should try shooting in RAW format.
That way you can select your white balance afterwards. :-)
While working with RAW is preferred by many, I personally find working with JPG files is sufficient for 99% of my post processing needs, and they only take up 10% of the space on my camera and computer.

You can change the white balance on JPG files as well using many programs. I use ACDSEE Pro 9, and PhotoShop, and sometimes Camera+ (on my iPhone).

PS. I'm not saying don't use RAW, as their are lots of good reasons for using RAW files. I'm just saying in my own experience, I have not found too many situations where I couldn't use a JPG file (instead of RAW), and still get completely acceptable results.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I'd agree with BrickSky in that RAW for most is overkill. It is more versatile to work with, but unless you have a large amount of storage space, want to do a lot of post processing and/or are looking to keep the quality as high as possible for print, JPG is usually sufficient for most.

And just to nerd out, it's NEF for Nikon's RAW. But getting back on topic.....
Pierre

kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

Lol, I was going to say, you guys lost me at RAW ;)

I have never had any training in photography or anything (and find the instruction manual to be a little overwhelming) so I appreciate the feedback. It would be nice to be able to use my camera more effectively, and for my pictures to adequately convey my MOC's. I think I will bring my camera to the next meeting for practice.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Something's it is just about the joy of building with Lego. :D don't get me wrong Photography is a factor in sharing MOCs on line but sometimes it can cast a shadow on the joy of building for one's own enjoyment.

I am not saying anyone here has done this, I speak from personal experience.
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

kodakcole wrote:I think I will bring my camera to the next meeting for practice.
Awesome, I will also be bringing my camera, tripod, some spot lighting, and poster board paper to take some photo's for other VLC'ers too.

We should be able to spend some time looking at your camera setup and trying a few things with it as well.

-Tyler
;)
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

AC wrote:Sometimes it's just about the joy of building with Lego. :D don't get me wrong Photography is a factor in sharing MOCs on line but sometimes it can cast a shadow on the joy of building for one's own enjoyment.

I agreed. I often procrastinate between building and posting MOC's.

i.e. None of my Amusement Park Rides, or recent Friends T-70 have been photographed or posted to Flickr, yet...

When I have many Lego projects & ideas on the go, building is always the priority, and taking & posting photos always takes the back burner...

;)

ps. I also have many things I've built that were never photographed, nor do i feel the need to. I tend to photograph the ones I want to share with others, and skip the rest...
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Bricksky wrote:
When I have many Lego projects & ideas on the go, building is always the priority, and taking & posting photos always takes the back burner...
I feel the same way with my videos.
- Jason
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get your help at the next meeting.

I agree about not letting it spoil the joy of building! That is very important. I get so into building that I don't worry about the final product, or how it will photograph, or how late I am staying up past my 'bedtime' hahaha. I hope that doesn't change ;)

I think I feel confident enough to start bringing my little MOC's to meetings now anyways.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Bringing MOC's to meetings is always a good thing to be encouraged, otherwise, we're just a bunch of people who come together to talk about toys er... I mean ABS plastic based artistic medium.
Pierre

Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

chump wrote:Bringing MOC's to meetings is always a good thing to be encouraged, otherwise, we're just a bunch of people who come together to talk about toys er... I mean ABS plastic based artistic medium.
:lol:
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Bricksky wrote:
AC wrote:Sometimes it's just about the joy of building with Lego. :D don't get me wrong Photography is a factor in sharing MOCs on line but sometimes it can cast a shadow on the joy of building for one's own enjoyment.

I agreed. I often procrastinate between building and posting MOC's.

i.e. None of my Amusement Park Rides, or recent Friends T-70 have been photographed or posted to Flickr, yet...

Indeed. I haven't tried photographing anything yet (apart from a few quick snaps with an iPhone to post on social media, or when I was travelling with my minifig family), and I don't see myself getting around to having the time to in the near future (even though I have decent equipment to try with). Currently I just see it as time that could be spent building instead.
kodakcole
Experienced Poster

Post by kodakcole »

There are a few factors that contribute to me wanting to take photos relatively quickly:
I have a toddler in the house! There are very few 'safe' places...
I have a very small collection, so I like to document my creations before I tear them down and work on something else.

I do wonder why I feel the need to post my pics though? Perhaps because I am 'new' and I want to prove myself ;) Because I just love lego and want to share it with other people who also love lego?

I love seeing everyone else's creations, but seeing them in person is quite a different experience, and much preferable.
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

kodakcole wrote:I do wonder why I feel the need to post my pics though? Perhaps because I am 'new' and I want to prove myself ;) Because I just love lego and want to share it with other people who also love lego?
Usually I post mine to get C&C (comments and criticism) so I can use the feedback for future MOCs, and get some suggestions on things like techniques or piece usage.
JayKay
Master Poster

Post by JayKay »

Bricksky wrote:
kodakcole wrote:I think I will bring my camera to the next meeting for practice.
Awesome, I will also be bringing my camera, tripod, some spot lighting, and poster board paper to take some photo's for other VLC'ers too.

We should be able to spend some time looking at your camera setup and trying a few things with it as well.

-Tyler
;)
Tyler I have a photography light box for smaller builds. I can bring that if it helps.
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Post by Bricksky »

JayKay wrote:Tyler I have a photography light box for smaller builds. I can bring that if it helps.
Sure, bring it! ;)