FORUMS UPGRADES

Important announcements will be posted here.

Moderator: VLC Directors

bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Re: FORUMS UPGRADES

Post by bricksare4me »

TheRebricker wrote:Trying out another change. When you are in Public facing forums the theme will be Green. At this time the remaining forums will remain blue. Let me know if that helps differentiate when posting.

Added in 6 minutes 10 seconds:
There was a request to be able to center some text.

That functionality now exists.

It was mostly for prettier formatting for meeting minutes etc, so use it appropriately please.

Im luvin the colour differentiation of the forums! It reminds me of generally where I am especially after reading a lot of posts. Forgot to add, I also really like the calendar at the top!
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

timtosino wrote:For some reason whenever I come to the forums I'm never auto-logged in. I always click it every time I login to auto-login next time but it never works. Is it something with Chrome?
It should work. I use it successfully. If you go to your user control panel you can delete your "Remember Me" login keys. Try deleting them all, logout and then log back in and select "Remember Me"

Let me know if that helps.

Added in 2 minutes 54 seconds:
bricksare4me wrote:Im luvin the colour differentiation of the forums! It reminds me of generally where I am especially after reading a lot of posts. Forgot to add, I also really like the calendar at the top!
Thanks! To make it better for those on mobile devices, I've adjusted the calendar on the header so it shows up to 10 upcoming days without squishing it by allowing it to use 2 lines. I wanted to change it to only show 5 days on mobile devices but it would be a far more substantial modification of the code to make that change.

Added in 28 minutes 26 seconds:
You can test what happens on a mobile device by reducing the width of your browser window.
- Jason
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

The green for public and blue for members is jarring at first, but I really like it now and works really well to remind you what forum you're posting in, just in case there's member only info being posted.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

Is there a problem with post counts on profiles? Since the upgrade, I've posted a buncha times, but my post count seems to be stuck at 391. When I click on it though, the number is higher than that (and changes with each post).
Rhymes with Lettuce
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Lettuce wrote:Is there a problem with post counts on profiles? Since the upgrade, I've posted a buncha times, but my post count seems to be stuck at 391. When I click on it though, the number is higher than that (and changes with each post).
I will look into that. I wonder if the archiving I did may have affected that. I moved many very old announcements into the announcements archive as they no longer apply (such as old forum updates etc and announcing that BrickCon 2010 tickets are now available) I wonder if that has driven your comment count below 391 and will stay there until you exceed 391... not certain, but I will look into it.
- Jason
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

There are consequences or side effects for everything. Some people care about there post count. We may need to ponder some of these things before hand and make some calls as a directorship team.
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

I found the issue. It wasn't what I thought it was. There was a permission setting in the forum that will prevent posts from counting in certain forums. Seems the setting for members (only) was set to not increment on certain forums. I have adjusted that and it should be all better now. I checked everyone's setting and we should all be good. If you are concerned over your post count, please check by posting something and see if your count increments. (Be sure to check what it WAS before you post).
- Jason
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Can I post a sentence one word at a time to bring my count up. :p
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

AC wrote:Can I post a sentence one word at a time to bring my count up. :p
Only if your posts are posted more than 3 hours apart. If you post in the same forum before someone else posts after you and it's less than 3 hours, your posts will be merged and your count won't increment. :p
- Jason
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

I am a patient man. It may not make a complete sentence fo a day or so but ... Okay who am I kidding. Not happening. rotflol
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

TheRebricker wrote:I found the issue. It wasn't what I thought it was. There was a permission setting in the forum...
Speaking of permission settings; Last night I was catching up on my unread threads and came accross one that apparently I don't have access to.
Now maybe that's a pre-existing feature (perhaps the club officers can create threads not viewable by the rest of the members, or maybe it's just another permissions glitch from the upgrades.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Added a new special BBCode to the text editor called LegoSet

It will allow the inserting of a lego set image without having to search for it. It links through BrickSet and creates a link to the BrickSet page automatically. Try it out, or quote my post to see the BBCode I used.

For example:
Set: 42009-1

Lego Parts can also be added through a tag: LegoPart which will also link into BrickLink for more parts information:
Part: 6636

Lego Elements can also be inserted in the forums now if you know the proper elementID. Display it using the LegoElement BBCode tag:
ElementID: 663626
- Jason
ssential-bricks
MOC Poster

Post by ssential-bricks »

TheRebricker wrote:Added a new special BBCode to the text editor called LegoSet
Wow! That's super cool and useful! So [legoset] + number + /end tag or [legoelement] + element number + /end tag

let me try:

Set: 40221-1

:) awesome!

also - I thought I would point out on other people's posts I can see the "edit" icon - I can think I can click and edit them - do I have the wrong permissions?
lego n00b --> supportive lego spouse --> AFOL
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

It will allow the inserting of a lego set image without having to search for it. It links through BrickSet and creates a link to the BrickSet page automatically. Try it out, or quote my post to see the BBCode I used.
That's brilliant.
Rhymes with Lettuce
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

ssential-bricks wrote:also - I thought I would point out on other people's posts I can see the "edit" icon - I can think I can click and edit them - do I have the wrong permissions?
You are a director, so you have permission to help moderate the forums.
- Jason
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

OK, so that post made my post count go up, but the 8 posts I made that didn't increase my post count (the ones that made me notice this) were not added.
Rhymes with Lettuce
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Lettuce wrote:OK, so that post made my post count go up, but the 8 posts I made that didn't increase my post count (the ones that made me notice this) were not added.
Yup, sorry. You are all better now, but it was a fix that affects things going forward and doesn't account for the past. If I force the system recalculate everyone's posts, we will all drop to a lower post count through various reasons. Are you okay just missing 8 or should I make an attempt to beef up your post count?

Added in 15 minutes 2 seconds:
Does anyone else have any suggestions for BBCode improvements? Things we could use to make the forums easier to work with but also more robust to the users? All suggestions will be considered, but will need to pass security restrictions to prevent opening this site to potential problems.

Added in 5 minutes 22 seconds:
You can now add YouTube videos inline as well using the YouTube BBCode tag:

https://youtu.be/_aj0dgA2Vto This requires you use the YouTube share link that starts with https and uses the youtu.be adderss with the video identifier after it.
- Jason
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

TheRebricker wrote:Yup, sorry. You are all better now, but it was a fix that affects things going forward and doesn't account for the past. If I force the system recalculate everyone's posts, we will all drop to a lower post count through various reasons. Are you okay just missing 8 or should I make an attempt to beef up your post count?
Nah, I figure everyone missed some, so if it's counting things properly now, I figure it makes sense to leave it as is.
Rhymes with Lettuce
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Well, if you guys had come to see the last Broadway Chorus show, Kim and Pascal's character had a scene which explained this very subject. :)
Pierre

Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Lettuce wrote:

That's brilliant.
Wow! Yes, totally awesome!! wow
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Just testing it on my mobile device and I see I need to do some adjusting so the set images and YouTube video frame size so it looks better....

YouTube videos are now fixed and should resize properly on all devices to 75% of the screen width.

"LegoSet" tagged images are now fixed and should resize properly on all devices to 75% of container width or it's full size if it's less than 75%

"LegoPart" and "LegoElement" tagged images will max out at 25% of the frame width as we don't need to see them much larger than that.
- Jason
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

That is genius! I will give it a try sometime :D
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

Thoughts on making a 5 post minimum before new users can post a topic? To prevent people from making an account on the forum just to post stuff that they're selling. :idea:
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

I like that idea. Let me look into the settings to see if that is possible. Something to keep in mind though, while we do want people to come around due to their interest in the club, we also want to get good deals on Lego. We don't want to have people post 5 posts of trash just so they can post their sale items. I have mixed feelings when I think about it, but we could try it, even at a very low threshold just to see what sort of results we get...
- Jason
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Is there an auto welcome post that can be sent upon registration as to what is frowned upon?
Pierre