Non-LEGO bits in MOCs?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

jeffrose
MOC Poster

Non-LEGO bits in MOCs?

Post by jeffrose »

Having just seen all of the amazing MOCs (SECs?) at BrickCan, I'm pondering some building.

At events like that, what's the prevailing "rule" for using a non-LEGO item where no matching LEGO piece exists?

For example, I know LEGO lighting isn't super common so people use other lights. I'm trying to think if I saw anything else at BrickCan.

Is it considered "OK" if it's super subtle and not a major portion of the MOC?
VLC - Technical Director Since 2018
Owner of: Brick Brains and BricksAndLinks
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Re: Non-LEGO bits in MOCs?

Post by DeGobbi »

4 things that are not easily found like official Lego lighting I say go right ahead and use aftermarket lights. Heck I even used wood in a Moc once
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

What level of "okay" are you going for?
I've seen a MOC made entirely out of Megablocks at a con before.
(That being said, it had it's share of closet haters, and would likely never be considered a candidate for a prize.)
I tend to try and not be judgemental. Dave's answer is probably the shortest.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Ptrotter
MOC Poster

Post by Ptrotter »

I used pennies for weight in my drawbridge. I would consider that acceptable for function. The ballasts would cost a fair bit more, and would be more difficult to get a hold of in quantity.
I own a bit of Lego. A little obsessive by some peoples standards.
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

I think it would depend on what it is. I don't think megabloks is very appropriate but 3rd party items like brickarms and brickforge that could enhance a MOC is in general quite acceptable. I know that there are some 3rd party light up Lego street lamps that I have seen put to good use.
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

I've seen people use double sided tape, glue, rubber bands, string, non-LEGO lights and motors, altbricks/brick forge/brick arms, etc. I say do whatever you're comfortable with for your own MOC.
Rhymes with Lettuce
KenmoreThompson
MOC Poster

Post by KenmoreThompson »

I think everyone has a threshold for non-lego elements beyond which they start to turn a dim eye toward the MOC (even if they're too polite to say so) and I think everyone's threshold will be slightly different.

Almost no one seems to have a problem with lighting. Few people would have an issue with custom flags or stickers, probably, although there are plenty of purists around, too. People will have varying opinions about stuff like modifying bricks, paint, or incorporating Lego-competitors' pieces.

My personal rule of thumb is to not rule anything out, but always err on the side of Lego-produced elements. I had to spray-paint a few pieces for my BrickCan Vault because after months of scouring Bricklink and re-designing a critical section of my build, it was impossible to get all the necessary elements in an appropriate colour.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

KenmoreThompson wrote:I think everyone has a threshold for non-lego elements beyond which they start to turn a dim eye toward the MOC (even if they're too polite to say so) and I think everyone's threshold will be slightly different.

Almost no one seems to have a problem with lighting. Few people would have an issue with custom flags or stickers, probably, although there are plenty of purists around, too. People will have varying opinions about stuff like modifying bricks, paint, or incorporating Lego-competitors' pieces.

My personal rule of thumb is to not rule anything out, but always err on the side of Lego-produced elements. I had to spray-paint a few pieces for my BrickCan Vault because after months of scouring Bricklink and re-designing a critical section of my build, it was impossible to get all the necessary elements in an appropriate colour.
Well put.

Welcome to the forums. I've sent you a PM (if you haven't already discovered it, have a look for it).
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

I try not to be too harsh on any builder's choices (try to keep an open mind), but certainly prefer LEGO parts (and appreciate their use, whenever they exist).
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

I for one like to explore the uses of the Lego elements to create a desired look. My preference leans to the purist side of things with weaknesses for the Altbrick fall coloured leaves. At the end of the day it is your creation/art. From an event organizer's standpoint it comes brown to how much and why. For instance if someone brings (to display as a MOC) a whole line of compatible or competitive produces to the Lego Brand for the purposes of promoting it then we would have to turn them away. Adding and filling in gaps in the product line is okay.
JayKay
Master Poster

Post by JayKay »

Some of the Lego professionals use metal and wood to supply support for their giant MOCs. Even that mega Xwing had metal bars and other materials in it. Some people glue their mocs for extra support too.