ADMIN PLEASE DELETE

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Kyler
Brick Deity

Re: 10254 Winter Holiday Train

Post by Kyler »

I was expecting one of the two sets available to VIPs September 15th would be their annual Holiday Creator set.
I'm collecting them, so I'd be getting it no matter what it was, but since my collection doesn't date back to the last Holiday Train, I'm excited to see that a new one's coming.
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

Can we move this to the public side of the forum? No reason for it to be on the members only side, and we really do need to stimulate more activity to draw in the public.
Rhymes with Lettuce
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Topic moved. Thanks Lettuce!
- Jason
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

On topic though, I hafta say that I'm disappointed with this set, and the Christmas Village theme in general in the past 3-4 years. The first four years were series of cool, snow capped buildings that looked a bit more mature than most other LEGO sets. Then came the Winter Village Market, which seemed like a bit of a cop out (no building). Then Santa's Workshop, which is a cool set, but doesn't fit in with the rest of them, then a reissue (essentially) of the Toy Shop, and now a train. I want them to get back to the cool new buildings like the Bakery, Post Office and Cottage.

That all said, I'll most likely be getting the train. :lol:

Added in 2 minutes 10 seconds:
Ok, looking at it more, my biggest gripe is the colours. The older sets featured less common (at the time) colours, whereas this one is mainly red and green.
Rhymes with Lettuce
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

I was about to gripe about it not being power functions, and I still will. A push train, really? That said I see on the box that it does support power functions being added to it so it was built with that in mind, so that's great!

As to the colors, unless there are any new parts, this set could easily be re-themed and it's a great way to get those harder to find train wheels for building steam style locomotives.

Added in 32 minutes 3 seconds:
Also, it appears to ONLY come with curved track...
- Jason
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

I was reading complaints, then realized it sounds like none of you have watched the designer reveal video yet.
So here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IIpLW1DYa4

No doubt to keep the cost to the standard range for the winter village theme the power functions are an add-on option, but the set was designed to accommodate (which was apparently one of the biggest challenges).

Another feature not visible from viewing photographs is the micro train going around the tree on the flatbed car. It spins when the car moves.

While it would be awesome to get some straight track, it would not make sense given the intent for the perfect circle is so that the train can be installed underneath one's Christmas tree.

Red and green are typical Christmas colours, and probably help it look like a "holiday train".
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

Seems a bit on the pricey side for me, compared to the previous winter theme sets. But then the price per piece ratio has also gone up significantly. While the compatibility with the power functions is nice, it doesn't come with the set which means there's a lot of extra side shopping to do.
Anyways, probably won't be getting this set.
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

Kyler wrote:I was reading complaints, then realized it sounds like none of you have watched the designer reveal video yet.
So here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IIpLW1DYa4
Thanks for the link. I do enjoy those designer videos and hadn't seen that one yet.
No doubt to keep the cost to the standard range for the winter village theme the power functions are an add-on option, but the set was designed to accommodate (which was apparently one of the biggest challenges).
I couldn't care less about Power Functions, though it is a nice option. 9V was better :p
Another feature not visible from viewing photographs is the micro train going around the tree on the flatbed car. It spins when the car moves.
It's visible, people on the Brickset forums noticed this a few days before the set was announced (the different coloured technic axle in the wheel gives it away). It's a nice feature.
While it would be awesome to get some straight track, it would not make sense given the intent for the perfect circle is so that the train can be installed underneath one's Christmas tree.
Amen, some straight track would be nice, even 4 would be nice to make it fit under a tree better.
Red and green are typical Christmas colours, and probably help it look like a "holiday train".
A good point. Still disappointing rotflol
All my disappointment aside, I'll still get it.
Rhymes with Lettuce
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

too bad it doesnt come with a train base plate for one of the cars.It should come with six steam wheel drivers like all the other train sets(4 flanged and 2 blind)even though it only uses 2 wheels.
I also noticed on flickr this am that notes are in the photos again,which is a nice touch they got rid of a couple of years ago

Andrew
Lego trains are just the best!
D_R_Watson
MOC Poster

Post by D_R_Watson »

I was really looking forwards to this, but seeing it am a little disappointed by the lack of realism in the locomotive. It really could have done with a couple of extra wheels or a different design (as a tank engine maybe to keep the cost down). I'm also not keen on colors, too much of the brighter green and the red wheels aren't great.