Attaching a LEGO motor to 9v battery box

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

TroopaDee
Master Poster

Attaching a LEGO motor to 9v battery box

Post by TroopaDee »

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but can the wire on the motor attach directly to the electric 9V battery box (orange switch version)? And does anyone knows what the different motors do (L, M, XL, servo, gear reduction, etc)? I'm thinking about building something motorized but I don't really know much about power functions stuff so I'm not sure what I should get. :oops:
Bricksky
Brick Overlord

Re: Make A Wish - Festival of Lights - Van Dusen 2015

Post by Bricksky »

TroopaDee wrote:Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but can the wire on the motor attach directly to the electric 9V battery box (orange switch version)? And does anyone knows what the different motors do (L, M, XL, servo, gear reduction, etc)? I'm thinking about building something motorized but I don't really know much about power functions stuff so I'm not sure what I should get. :oops:
Yes, you can definitely attach the new motors directly to the 9V battery box.

Each motor has different characteristics regarding torque and speed at different voltage levels. Here is a web page that provides some testing results about each LEGO motor (perhaps too much detail?): http://philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

-Tyler

ps. Maybe someone with Admin privileges can move these last few updates to a new conversation topic?
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Im going to make a form about this but heres something that might help with mortars and gear ratios.

So each motor has a set RpM and Torque power. ( you can check the lego website for these numbers.)

But here is a simple formula to let you know what speed you will get after you have meshed gears togethers.

N = rpm of gear t= number of teeth of gear.

N1 x t1 = N2 x t2 = N3 x t3.....

Solve
n1(200rpm) x t1(48 teeth) = N2(?) x t2(32 teeth)

200x48

= 300 rpm

N1 would be the gear attached the axel of the motor.

load( or a lot of gears linked together) will take a chunk out of the rpm, but a mortor with higher torque will help with this. I don't have the Torque formula yet. But i will post it once I figure it out.

Also worm gears, do not follow this formula. I will post the way to calculate that as well.
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

Thanks Tyler and Keith, that helps a lot. I'm going to see if I can pick up one or two motors and play around with them. Thanks!!! :)