Best place to shop?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

jeffrose
MOC Poster

Best place to shop?

Post by jeffrose »

Does anyone have recommendations of the best place to look for NEW LEGO in Vancouver? I'm just getting back into it and want to start visiting places with some variety.

Obviously the LEGO Brand stores have a good selection and are pretty standard, but what other specific locations are good for both deals and selection?

For example, ToysRUs on Broadway, or Walmart at Capilano Mall, rather than just "Walmart".
VLC - Technical Director Since 2018
Owner of: Brick Brains and BricksAndLinks
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Re: Best place to shop?

Post by TheRebricker »

Welcome back from your dark ages of Lego (we almost have all gone through it). Unfortunately in my experience when it comes to pricing, the big box stores tend to price across their store chain, so no one Walmart would be better than another in that regard, or Toys R Us (TRU). We also watch London Drugs for good deals from time to time as well. Where you win is when you find a store in any of those chains that is not frequented by Lego buyers. For example we seems to have lots of interesting deals coming from the Squamish Walmart and I have had success finding things that are quickly sold out st the Guildford Walmart, at the Langley Walmart. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes it's timing and sometimes it's just about the local demographics.

For some sets and mostly minifig collecting, chapters and indigo have been useful as well, but now that the holidays have just passed many stores seem a little empty. I was at the Capilano Walmart today and they had about 30 sets, not different sets, 30, only 30 sets. I've never seen a Walmart with so little!

We do try to post deals we find to help people get the best deal and to keep loving this great product!

I was at a Walmart in Mexico earlier this week and found a hard to find set from 2014! It's just a matter of keeping your eye out for something you may be lookin for! :)
- Jason
jeffrose
MOC Poster

Post by jeffrose »

Thanks Rebricker - I need to start doing some traveling to see what's up.
VLC - Technical Director Since 2018
Owner of: Brick Brains and BricksAndLinks
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Squmish as been crap these last few months. Don't bother traveling all the way up here to try and find a deal.

A few things to keep in mind.

Lego brand store will almost never have door crasher deals. But will have a good selection and some sets are only ever sold at LBS. You do how ever get points when purchasing from them.

If you find sales at 30% it's the start of a good deal.

Toys r us. Tends to over price lego so what out for that.