Trivia: So why is Tan called Brick Yellow?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

Trivia: So why is Tan called Brick Yellow?

Post by chump »

Hello and Good Afternoon LUG Ambassadors & Work Group Leaders,

I hope this message finds you each well! During our last CEE department meeting in Billund, Denmark the entire Community Support team had the opportunity to attend a truly informative presentation by a few of our colleagues in Materials and R&D (Research & Development). This presentation focused on all the materials that comprise the LEGO element portfolio. Information varied from molecular makeup of each plastic, the reason for utilizing different plastics, legal policies & procedures across the globe, and color. This is exactly the type of opportunity we aim to avail ourselves to in order to better and more accurately field questions from the AFOL community.

During the topic of color, I brought forth a question I’ve been asked numerous times: What’s the deal with LEGO color 005 – Brick Yellow? The AFOL community refers to this color as tan and I can certainly understand the confusion regarding our internal naming. So I asked if there was an answer I could share with our fans… and here it is:

“The name Brick yellow comes as a direct translation of the Danish name for the color: “Tegl Gul” – tegl meaning Brick (or mursten – not sure of other English words for it). Back then all colors were named in Danish and then later translated. The color Brick Yellow was implemented back when Modulex was a part of the moulding at LEGO and at the same time the color 004 Brick Red (Tegl Rød) was also available. As I also mentioned yesterday the original use was for brick walls for houses – so to imitate red or yellow houses.”

Hope this random bit of LEGO trivia will brighten your day!
With Regards,

Kevin Hinkle
Community Manager - Americas
CEE Community Support
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
AC
Brick God

Re: Trivia: So why is Tan called Brick Yellow?

Post by AC »

Good to know! Well not really but interesting.