Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Pascal
Brick Overlord

Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

Post by Pascal »

Hi all,

With BrickCon coming up in days, I wanted to know if it was worth it to buy LEGO in the States. The prices are lower and they pay less tax.

I made an excel spreadsheet to work out all the price differences. The file can be found on our Facebook page: https://goo.gl/NrHFPV

Here is a link for the document on Google Docs. Please note that the exchange rate is current as of today, Sept 29, 2015. You may need to update the rates.
https://goo.gl/TpFWWP
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Re: Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

Post by Pascal »

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a new spreadsheet the will auto update the exchange rates. Since I'm on my way to BrickCon, it won't be complete until sometime after I return home. In the meantime, just use the link I provided to update the exchange rate.

*note*
The exchange rate that I used represents the rate that the bank will buy/sell the currencies. This is slightly different than the "actual" exchange rates. Because, ya know, the banks need to take their cut, right?
chump
Element God

Re: Buying LEGO in the States? Think again!

Post by chump »

I believe there is an exception to this rule which is in VIP points. Spend the VIP points in the US, (and I may be wrong) because they do not differentiate between a VIP point being worth Cdn$1 or US$1. So you'll be stretching your dollar, if you spend them there.

VIP points do have an expiry date though and it's two years from the date they were earned. I got an email in the summer saying that my points would expire by the end of the year. Use 'em or lose 'em.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.