Beware LEGO minifigure Clones

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

Beware LEGO minifigure Clones

Post by chump »

LEGO Clones of licensed themes are coming to light. (copied from another forum)
-------------------------------------------------------------

As LEGO Fans, i'm really concerned about the problem of infringement products which become more serious.

I heard about there were clones for Superheroes and starwars few months ago, but never find it until yesterday.

I found the clones minifigures available in Hong Kong (and pretty sure that they available in China & south east asia as well)

Almost all popular themes are available include, star wars, superheroes TMNT, Chima, Friends....

The quaility of them are not bad and really hard to differenate them unless experienced players. it may bad news to fans.

In my guess, on of the reason may come from the outsource manufactoring of accessory stuffs like CMF, Keychain,mangnet etc to China.

The Chinese manufacturer learnt the skills / experiences and produced those clone products

The issues will become more serious as long as TLG has move the Factory line to MainLand China few years later.

You may take a look on my hi-res photos for comparison (Left: Geninue, Right: Clones)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

Genuine on the left, copy on the right.

Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
timtosino
Element King

Re: Beware LEGO Clones

Post by timtosino »

Very interesting, would be really crazy if they started doing the SDCC exclusives to really screw people who shell out big bucks for them.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Re: Beware LEGO Clones

Post by brankell5566 »

If you didn't tell me which one was genuine, I probably would've never guessed it was the one on the left.
Slogghead
Experienced Poster

Re: Beware LEGO minifigure Clones

Post by Slogghead »

It is funny that the clone figures have different feet. Look at the angled cut on the toe portion. The mold lines are obvious as well. The plastic is more translucent as it is a lower grade from China.

I saw the TMNT ones from Hong Kong a couple weeks ago and you can get all 4 turtles, Splinter and Shredder for like $15 shipped to your door! I resisted the urge to buy these and promote the fraudulent behavior.
"I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can." "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slogghead
bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Post by bricksare4me »

Omg. This is going to make buying Lego figs more challenging on the secondary market....sucks. :cry:
chowrentoys
MOC Poster

Post by chowrentoys »

This has been forwarded to the appropriate department at LEGO. This is the first time I've seen knockoffs use the name of licensed products on their box. They are going to have both Disney and LEGO after them. Speaking of knockoff there was an interesting article posted on Brickset about the fakes - http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7722.
Hemel
General Poster

Post by Hemel »

I'm currently in Hong Kong and these are pretty much everywhere. Not in any big name stores, but in all the street markets, Ladies Street, Temple Street, etc.

Current 'asking' price seems to be approx HKD$10 each, which can be talked down.

I picked up a couple to check them out and also because Lego currently doesn't officially make these and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than buying 'customs'.

Iron Man Mark 39 and Iron Man Mark 41. I'm not sure how accurate these are to the actual comics though.

Quality wise, is acceptable. From when you pick the figure up, you can tell it's not real lego, just from the weight and the smoothness of the plastic. It also has a very slight 'plastic' odour to them. I don't care about the other parts included, just the figure itself but the other parts didn't have much 'clutch' power. Arms and legs are ok. There's something left over plastic from the moulds that needs to be removed. The printing is acceptable, not as clean as I would like, but it's less than $2!!!
Attachments
Box
Box
Front
Front
Back
Back
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Too bad they don't have the big Hulk figs.

The better quality clones as seen in the first photo have the notched angled feet/toes. The ones that you bought are like regular straight minifig feet.
Pierre

Slogghead
Experienced Poster

Post by Slogghead »

The minifigs from Decool are pretty good for knock-offs.

I have only seen the Iron Man ones from them, but they are damn cheap...6 suits for $20 free shipped to your door!

Must resist, but like you said Hemel, it would be nice to have those custom ones.

Dave
"I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast as they can." "Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slogghead
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

Begun the clone war has - Yoda
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

chump wrote:Too bad they don't have the big Hulk figs.
Okay... So they have big Hulk's now. Even Red and Grey. I'm not up on my Hulk history.

http://mybrickstore.blogspot.ca/2014/06 ... -hulk.html

Interestingly, in the same link the figs that have short legs are taller because they have moveable legs.

Hmm.. and Thing from Fantastic Four.

My nephew likes this League of Legends.

Maybe WWE is more your taste?

Ironman Hulkbuster?

All sorts of Captain America

SWAT and military

Dragon Ball Z

Transformers

There's other franchises that I skipped over as I flipped through the blog in that first link, these are just the ones that stood out.
Pierre