Guildford Town Center Opening Day volunteering

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Guildford Town Center Opening Day volunteering

Post by bricksare4me »

Hi! I just got the email from Lego Guildford calling for volunteers for opening day. I am not sure if i can do it yet, but I was wondering what it was like, what duties it entails, and what your overall experience was like at one (was it so totally crazy, u were ready to tear ur hair out, or overall fun and not a nail biter? rotflol ). Do u get instructions on what to do when u get there? How was the master build coordination?

(Also i would need to go shopping to fit the appropriate dress code--i have nothing like that in my closet! :lol: )
timtosino
Element King

Re: Guildford Town Center Opening Day volunteering

Post by timtosino »

Volunteers are mainly responsible for helping with the building event. You will be asked to prep the tables and making sure all the needed bricks are out on the table for kids to build with. One volunteer is also required to assist the Masterbuilder by giving out the tickets to get a certificate and general quality control by quietly rejecting improperly built bricks in another pile. If the staff at the store is completely swamped you may be asked to help with crowd/line control.

<This next part contains spoilers, if you have a kid who is planning to go don't tell them this!>
Later on in the day the number of bricks gets to more than the masterbuilder can handle and volunteers will quietly cart away excess bricks to be broken down in the backroom. This is pretty brutal so if you are asked to this and want to save your hands bring a brick separator. They also need to do this since by mid afternoon you are usually running out of 1x8s and 2x8s. After closing on Sunday if you are sticking around this is pretty much all you will be doing till 10 PM.

Staffing Dress Code:
· Event Staff and volunteers are expected to meet all standard LEGO Store dress code and appearance requirements. Volunteers must wear a black, collared shirt and khakis and black shoes.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Post by bricksare4me »

Thank u for a great description on what to expect. Interesting about the "spoiler" part. My hands get fatigued just from doing my own projects! :lol:

Ooooooh the gentle rejecting will be challenging.

And yeah, the dress code....i have nothing that fits that description......shopping my be required.

It was great meeting u at the japanese fair, if u r the "tim" i met! :P
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Head to Value Village if you don't think you'll be wearing the khaki's again.

If you don't have the required attire, then you will be in the back breaking down brick. Also if one knows that you're not good with kids or the public, one is probably be better off in the back.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Yup that was me. The rejecting goes on behind the scenes though, if a kid did it incorrectly you aren't really supposed to point it out, and I've seen them figure it out themselves a lot of times, like the one kid I tried to tell he had built it an extra 2 studs out and he refused any advice saying he "has been building LEGO for years and didn't need help" only to find out his mistake as well :)
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Post by bricksare4me »

chump wrote:Head to Value Village if you don't think you'll be wearing the khaki's again.

If you don't have the required attire, then you will be in the back breaking down brick. Also if one knows that you're not good with kids or the public, one is probably be better off in the back.
Oooh good idea! and u reminded me of Old Navy. im just not a khaki kinda girl :wink: ...and good to know about the back option!
bricksare4me
MOC Poster

Post by bricksare4me »

timtosino wrote:Yup that was me. The rejecting goes on behind the scenes though, if a kid did it incorrectly you aren't really supposed to point it out, and I've seen them figure it out themselves a lot of times, like the one kid I tried to tell he had built it an extra 2 studs out and he refused any advice saying he "has been building LEGO for years and didn't need help" only to find out his mistake as well :)
Hey! cool! and thats why Lego is such an educational product! (we should be in sales, we r so good!)