Lego Article in this Sunday's (March 17th) Province

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Brickbaron
Master Poster

Lego Article in this Sunday's (March 17th) Province

Post by Brickbaron »

The Province is doing an article on Lego this Sunday. It sounds like they are quite excited about it, and are planning to dedicate 2-3 pages to it. I understand they have spoken to a couple of club members, as well as Robin at Brickville. It will be interesting to see the angle they take on the story.

Be sure to check it out tomorrow and pick up a copy :lol:

Paul
chump
Element God

Re: Lego Article in this Sunday's (March 17th) Province

Post by chump »

Do pick up a copy as well as read it online now.

http://www.theprovince.com/Building+wit ... story.html

ETA: Just finished reading it and not bad, only two things made me cringe, which made me wish I had asked for a quick read through the article before publishing (yeah, like a writer is going to agree to that).

I would have taken out the words "some of" in the fourth and in the paragraph with "a big fad are minifigs" to "minifigs are extremely popular". And corrected about series 10 being all gold.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Post by Pascal »

I kind of thought it was poorly written, one line in particular:

"But AFOLs get off on making their own creations, not from sets but from various bits and pieces lying around in their stockpiles."

I think the "... AFOLs get off on ..." seems in poor taste.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Ah yes... that was the other one that I had issue with. Apparently he's a sports writer. I was going to count the amount of times he used the word "geek" but gave up.

Could it have been done better? Of course. Could it have been a whole lot worse? Definitely.

Good to know that we're spending $500-$1000 a month on LEGO.
Pierre

Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Alright ,front page of the province with bad christy clark and even badder bacon brothers,Paul youve now hit BC mainstream news.I thought the write up on Robin could have been more in depth guess they didnt want to travel to abby.Nicely done Paul you got a page and a half interview in the paper ,you are a 'STUD'.
I thought the story was done fairly well,fairly serious,not like davveds radio interview a couple of years ago.And the pictures of Paul and his creations were great!

Great job Paul!
,Andrew :wink:
Lego trains are just the best!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Front page. Must be a slow news day.
Pierre

AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

chump wrote:Front page. Must be a slow news day.
Slow no! Great yes. This is a great day for AFOLs in BC. Fantastic!
Could the article have been better, yes but the tone of the article was fair and did not portray us in a negative way. I wonder how many LUGs can say they have been featured on the front page of a major news paper.

Congrats to Paul, Robin and Pierre. Thanks for representing.
Brickbaron
Master Poster

Post by Brickbaron »

As the new poster boy for Geek Chic I think the article was pretty good. You just never know going in which angle they will take. I might have used the "Geek" word a bit less if I had been the author, especially since my face was right there. At the end of the day I guess I'm waving the flag, and it was nice to have them put a few pictures in.:lol:

Paul
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

A bit of the story behind the story. I got the press request from Shane about 10 days ago from The Province Newspaper about adult LEGO builders. I called Gord McIntyre back and we chatted, although I didn't really know that he was recording it as part of the article, as I see some direct quotes there.

It was evident that he had been reading through our blog as almost everything he mentioned was directly from there. He knew about our connection with Make a Wish and the Winter Wonderland display which he would have liked to use for photos but that was in the past. I tried to steer him to Britannia Mines as I was hoping to cross-promote but he wasn't interested.

For those of you who don't check out our website or twitter, here is the full Simon Pegg quote:

He had talked about really being impressed with Lee's LotR creation and so I asked if he wanted to be connected with Lee to interview and get photos but he thought it was still rather small. So the only person that I knew that had large scale models intact that would photo and video well was Paul. I also knew that I wanted to help draw attention to his Lady Gaga Castle and so pitched it to him and he was (pardon the pun) Gaga over the idea.

He talked about doing this for a living and I said that we all do this as a hobby and that we all have jobs and careers, but I then added that Robin does do this for a living, which is how he came to interview Robin.

I may have extras of the newspaper as my brother in law is saving any unsold copies tonight (they usually dump them) for anyone who missed it.
Pierre

Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Great work guys - I was also shocked to see it on the front page!

And I didn't realize how large Paul's Lady Gaga stage was...
-Bryan
Brickbaron
Master Poster

Post by Brickbaron »

Gumby wrote:And I didn't realize how large Paul's Lady Gaga stage was...
Size matters Bryan rotflol

Paul
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Brickbaron wrote:
Gumby wrote:And I didn't realize how large Paul's Lady Gaga stage was...
Size matters Bryan rotflol

Paul
Yes, and that is why Paul is always trying to compensate. rotflol
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Ouch!

I was surprised by the grammar mistakes, and the excessive use of the word Geek. I also think that the wording around spending $500- 1000 a month makes us look pretty crazy or rich. Saying that some people sometimes do this would have been better.

But super cool all the same! Congrats Paul on your fame!
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)