Aberdeen Mall - LEGO Hong Kong

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Robin
Master Poster

Aberdeen Mall - LEGO Hong Kong

Post by Robin »

Hi guys,

Some of you know about this already, but I thought I'd post a shout-out about an event I'm doing at Aberdeen Mall from July 2 - 15. The mall has created an exhibit called "In My Life, Pearl of the Orient - Hong Kong" ( http://www.aberdeencentre.com/en/activi ... p#event548 ), and as part of the event and display, I'm re-creating several iconic Hong Kong buildings, including several of the tallest skyscrapers in the city.

I'm building skyscrapers right now for the exhibit, but will hopefully be doing most of the building on-site in the mall, during the 2 weeks I'm on hand there. I've got plans for about 10 larger buildings, as well as some smaller details like the peak tram, some ferries and boats, and the famous clock tower. The tallest buildings will be over 7 ft tall. It's going to take a ton of work to make it all happen, and just like your LUGBulk order, my brick orders for this event were waaaaaay late, so I've had very little time to build off site.

The public will also be constructing a huge mosaic to be a backdrop for the Hong Kong buildings - the whole display should look something like this LEGO store window display when it's complete - http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6108/6268 ... eb1f5d.jpg , and the whole setup will remain on display until September 5th.

I know that you're all probably completely wiped out from getting the Surrey show built and installed, but I would love to have you come down, hang out, and do some building with me at the mall. Like I mentioned, I'll be building several skyscrapers, as well as doing some basic landscaping, and supervising the mosaic build. I know Brian is planning to spend a couple of days, which is awesome. If you're interested, or want more information, please contact me directly using the email button at right. Even if you're not able to stay and build, come down and say Hi!

Cheers,
Brickbaron
Master Poster

Re: Aberdeen Mall - LEGO Hong Kong

Post by Brickbaron »

I'm sure I can come down for a day and help out a bit. The building onsite is from July 2nd - 15th? Is there a weekend that might be best?

Paul
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

I'm there building until it's done, basically, starting on the 2nd. I'm estimating the 15th. The same goes for the public mosaic (12 x 5 large baseplates). I'm estimating a week of work, so the mosaic build will be happening from the 2nd to the 9th. The mall is bringing in other volunteers to run the mosaic build itself, but I'll be watching over it as well.

So, to answer your question, the only "best" time would be sooner rather than later, I would think.
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

I'd love to help out if I can. Now that summer is here and school is out I have nothing to do but read LEGO blogs. Do I have to be a VLC club member in order to help out or is is for the public?
Last edited by brankell5566 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Sounds cool Robin! Seems like you should just bring a sleeping bag with you to the mall...
-Bryan
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Yes, Bryan, it's definitely gonna feel like that!

And to Brankell - no, you don't have to be a VLC member. The mosaic building event is a public one, of course, but the landscape and skyscraper building is for builders like you guys. So, VLC forum users are more than welcome. Just make sure to identify yourself if I haven't met you before.

I didn't mention times, but basically the skyscraper building will be happening almost all mall hours, winding down in the evening with some area cleanup and moving things into overnight storage. The mosaic build will probably shut down in early evening each day.

Cheers,
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

Awesome! By the way, if I didn't send it to myself again, you should have an email from me in your inbox. :)
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Bump. Going to see how it goes on Sunday, hopefully get there around noon or so.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Brickbaron
Master Poster

Post by Brickbaron »

I'm going down on Sunday at noon to help out. Sounds like fun!

Paul
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Parking will be a pain in the ass. I tried to pop in on Monday just to see how things were going but parking was a zoo on the holiday. Weekends are probably no better.
Pierre

brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

Mosaic is now finished. A for parking, you can grab a parking pass from Robin. But You'll have to drive all the way up to the 5th floor or something. Looking forward to seeing some of you!
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Ya, parking is a pain. Just keep climbing the parkade. The higher you go, the less cars. I do have one all-day pass for someone, and yes, the spot is up on top in the sunshine (P5). That level is all reserved parking. Of course, it's 3 hour free parking in the main parkade - if you can find a spot. I suspect it will be less busy than last weekend (the long weekend), but yes, that parkade is crazy.

The mosaic was completed today. Looks pretty good! Now, the main build goes into high gear. Tomorrow, we'll be working on finishing up the 2IFC building (tallest building in Hong Kong), as well as the Hopewell Centre (tall, round skyscraper). We'll also hope to get a whole bunch of (DUPLO!) landscaping done.

Brandon has been amazing - building like a trooper every day. Brian was down for several days. We've also seen Jack and Sean a couple of times.

Look forward to seeing some of you guys soon!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

For those of you who don't get the Richmond Review....

http://www.richmondreview.com/community/161579705.html

Hong Kong replica made out of Lego rising at Aberdeen Centre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmCORpt8 ... r_embedded

By Martin van den Hemel - Richmond Review
Published: July 06, 2012 9:00 AM
Updated: July 06, 2012 3:08 PM

By the time everything’s done, hundreds of hours of work, more than 100,000 Lego and Duplo pieces, and nine signature Hong Kong high-rises will soar inside Aberdeen Centre atrium.

Also featuring the city’s picturesque backdrop, along with Victoria Harbour, the detailed display is part of In My Life, Pearl of the Orient—Hong Kong, which tells the story of the city’s historic evolution from small fishing village to Asia’s World City.

Canadian Robin Sather, one of just 13 certified Lego professionals around the world, said it took 60 hours for him to assemble the HSBC building.

He and his team were busy Thursday, assembling more of the cityscape, work they’ll be doing through July 15th.

Asked what will become of the works after the display is taken down, Sather said he’s not sure.

Each tower will likely be sold individually. The other pieces could be auctioned off as well.

The rest of the exhibition includes: photo, art, and music exhibitions featuring historic icons of Hong Kong entertainment; a display of antiques and family treasures from the private collection of Mr. Roger Tsui; scale-model miniatures showcasing Hong Kong’s street food stalls; a “Monkey Hill” replica of the famous Kam Shan County Park; and a photo opportunity to sit in an old-style rickshaw.

For more about the display, visit aberdeencentre.com.

—with files from Jamie Peng
Pierre

Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Sigh ... :roll:

I never said anything about auctioning anything off ... and only mentioned selling anything because the guy was completely obsessed with the concept, and kept asking about what would happen to them. Reporters - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em ...
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I just assumed that the mall had "bought" the display and was doing that on their own. I didn't assume that it had anything on your side.
Pierre

Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Yes, well apparently the reporter assumed a lot as well. Frustrating, because I had to deal with people asking about this all day onsite at the build ...
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Hey if it creates a market for people wanting to BUY your creations... ;)
-Bryan
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Good to see you today, Bryan!

I'm really good with people wanting to buy my stuff, but in those cases, I build them for that purpose. These creations are built to show once or twice, and then be dismantled. They are not bomb-proof, and they're not glued. If I were to sell them, I would redo parts of them, and glue them, which would add a lot to the cost. I've learned my lesson the hard way - I shipped a partially glued creation to a client once, in (what I thought was) excessively padding and packaging. It arrived basically shattered. Now, fully glued - bombproof modular assembly - excessive packaging.
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Also awesome to have David, Paul, and Pierre (along with his rellies) to help today. It was a bit chaotic, but a very productive day in the end. Everyone played a part. It was a pleasure building with you guys. Come again anytime! :)
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

From the Richmond News

http://www.richmond-news.com/Lego+displ ... story.html

Lego display tells tales of Hong Kong

Kwan dedicates exhibit to her late father and husband

By Michelle Hopkins, Richmond News July 3, 2012

Robin Sather, 47, is the only certified LEGO professional in Canada, and one of 13 in the world. He’s working on the In My Life, Pearl of the Orient — Hong Kong exhibit at Aberdeen Centre, with the help of a group of volunteers.
Photograph by: CHUNG CHOW , RICHMOND NEWS

As a little girl, Joey Kwan’s father used to take her downtown to see some of Hong Kong’s cultural landmarks.

Kwan remembers fondly that her dad would take her to visit the Clock Tower, the Legislation Council Building, the Peak Tower, Ocean Terminal, as well as his office in the renowned HSBC Bank Headquarters.

“My dad, Ming Kwan, would take me to see both sides of Hong Kong, the privileged and the not so privileged,” said Kwan, promotion and public relations manager for Aberdeen Centre. “He even took me to the street food vendors, and he didn’t even like street food.”

Another thing her father did was buy her a set of Lego blocks.

“Dad thought that Lego could train my brain to think more logically,” she quipped.

Last year, after Kwan lost both her father and husband Patrick Hung, she decided as a tribute to both she would put together an exhibit about Hong Kong. Thus was born In My Life, Pearl of the Orient — Hong Kong.

“My husband and I met and fell in love in Hong Kong, so this exhibit honours him as well,” added Kwan. “I think they both would have loved this exhibition.”

In My Life, Pearl of the Orient — Hong Kong takes visitors through a series of artistic and nostalgic exhibits, including multimedia, photo and antique displays.

The large-scale exposition, in the central atrium of Aberdeen Centre, takes visitors on a journey through Hong Kong’s Victoria Harbour over time — from when it was a small fishing village, then as it would have appeared in the ’50s and ’60s, during its early industrialization, right up to today as a leading international financial centre.

Hard at work on a Lego skyline of Victoria Harbour is artist Robin Sather. Sather, a certified Lego professional — one of only 13 worldwide and the only Canadian — is working on 10 iconic buildings created solely out of Lego blocks. The Abbostford artist is recreating the HSBC Bank headquarters, Central Plaza, Legislation Council Building and the two International Finance Centre towers, to name just a few.

“I’ve been studying hundreds of photos of Hong Kong for more than two months before starting on this project,” said the 47-year-old Sather. “The HSBC building alone took me a week to complete.”

The self-described “ardent” Lego fan will use more than 100,000 Lego blocks to recreate the recognizable attractions.

“The backdrop will be a mosaic of the Hong Kong skyline and we are inviting kids and adults to participate in decorating it,” said Sather.

As homage to Hong Kong’s humble beginnings, the Lego scene will also feature traditional fishing boats making their way across the Victoria Harbour.

“We will have water made out of Lego blocks right at the front of the exhibit with the boats floating by, as well as the island of Kowloon,” he said. “I have a few volunteers helping me out as I will continue to build during the exhibit as well.”

Sather said he’s been a Lego fan since he was a child and it continued throughout college and into adulthood. He quit his IT job to pursue Lego building full time in 2004.

“Pre-internet I never knew that there were other adults who love it as much as I did … I’ve since learned there are thousands of adults out there who love it as much as I do,” Sather said, adding he will be on site during mall hours from now until July 15. “I have a million Lego bricks in my inventory at any given time.”

Just around the corner from the Lego display is a replica of a typical home circa late 1960s.

“During lean times, after the war, lots of middle class immigrants from China came to live here, so some of the items are what they would have had in their homes as well,” Kwan said.

She held up what looks like a flower vase and said: “This is actually for spitting or to go to the bathroom. You see, while the men played Mahjong, they didn’t want to leave the table, so they used the vase.”

Many of the items in the model home were donated or borrowed from antique collectors or purchased in Chinatown, said Kwan.

“We will also have on display the art work from four well-known Hong Kong artists,” said Kwan. “One or two artists will be here during the exhibit and one pixel artist will demonstrate her work.”

In another corner, Kwan showed the News a rickshaw — a two-wheeled passenger cart pulled by a human runner.

“We will have people dressed up as rickshaw drivers from the 1950-1960s and people can have their photo taken sitting in the rickshaw,” she added.

Aberdeen’s famous musical water fountain will dance to a number of songs, including the tune to Kowloon Hong Kong.

“That was one of my dad’s favourite songs,” said Kwan. “There will also be the British and Chinese anthems and the Beatles song, In My Life.

“This is a very fun and interactive exhibition.”

In My Life, Pearl of the Orient — Hong Kong is on exhibit until September 3 in the central atrium at Aberdeen Centre. For more information, call 604-273-1234 or visit www.aberdeencentre.com.
© Copyright (c) Richmond News
Pierre

aprime
General Poster

Post by aprime »

today is July 9th, is it the last day of showing lego ??
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Hi guys,

I'll be building onsite until at least Saturday, the 14th (I have another event on the 15th). I suspect I will not be finished by then, so I'll be back on the 16th. If I'm still not done, I'll be building the rest back in my workshop, and bringing the completed items in for display. The completed display runs until September 3rd.

Regards,
Bobert_McBob
New Poster

Post by Bobert_McBob »

I've got to say, it looks pretty good as a WiP and it was fun to help. I'm most happy that my girlfriend had fun helping.
Robin
Master Poster

Post by Robin »

Thanks for coming down, guys! You 3 dove right in, and had no problem building those sections.

Getting close to the end now!