Anyone in Vancouver can host a Lego event?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

lightgarden
New Poster

Anyone in Vancouver can host a Lego event?

Post by lightgarden »

The Lego events in SXSW or Google look so cool (http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=lego%20sxsw&w=all ). Anyone in Vancouver know how to organize something like that to promote Lego/creatives/fun ?

You will need to provide the Lego parts for one time use.

Please provide me some information. Cheers!
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Re: Anyone in Vancouver can host a Lego event?

Post by DeGobbi »

I have never heard of swsx . The photos just look like people playing with a big pile of lego . You seem to know more about it then us , tell us what it is and some info behind it .
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

It is my understanding that SXSW (South by South West) is a huge festival/conference that actually is put on yearly for ~20 days in Austin. I also know that the LEGO group is directly involved in this event. The LEGO portion is not put on by a local AFOL group in the area.

I'm not sure we have the resources to put on an event of this size, but I believe that the events we already are putting on promote Lego/creative/fun. In fact I believe this upcoming show this summer at the Surrey museum will be very impressive and include an area for people to build with a big pile of Lego.
lightgarden
New Poster

Post by lightgarden »

It could be very flexible just like people playing Lego by themselves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wa1Yjxc1Ms

or like a game in a fixed time period:
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/sx ... ogle-lego/
lightgarden
New Poster

Post by lightgarden »

michael wrote:It is my understanding that SXSW (South by South West) is a huge festival/conference that actually is put on yearly for ~20 days in Austin. I also know that the LEGO group is directly involved in this event. The LEGO portion is not put on by a local AFOL group in the area.

I'm not sure we have the resources to put on an event of this size, but I believe that the events we already are putting on promote Lego/creative/fun. In fact I believe this upcoming show this summer at the Surrey museum will be very impressive and include an area for people to build with a big pile of Lego.
Cool~ you know what I was talking. :wink:

Do you think it is a cool idea to host similar, but smaller, events with people (especially geeky engineers) here in Vancouver?
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Yes we enjoy putting on events. Actually just last month we did a really fun event at Science world that is featured on the VLC website news right now: vlc.ca

Here are some pictures (you must be logged into facebook to view them): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 715&type=1

I really like the idea of that Lego hacking competition. That looked like a lot of fun. I need to get into some more mindstorms stuff. Thanks for the link!

Do you have a specific event in mind which you would like us to put on? Or are you just hoping to attend one of our events? You can always follow us on facebook to get updates about our shows: https://www.facebook.com/groups/207424315429/
lightgarden
New Poster

Post by lightgarden »

Yes, we have an event, and we are thinking to make it a Lego one.
Do you want to help us? Can u send me ur contact info? Cheers.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Lightgarden, I appreciate your enthusiasm in wanting to host a Lego event similar to what was seen at south by south west. As a club, we may have the ability to help you out but we would need to know a lot more about what it is that you are trying to achieve, including budget and dates.

What type of organization/association are you? What activities do you normally hold? What size venue? Target amount of attendees? Give us some idea of what you have in mind, so that we can see what can be done.

However, if you're just asking us to open up our personal Lego collection for random people to play with, that probably won't fly well. As well, for the next few months, most of us will be tied up with the Surrey Museum.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
lightgarden
New Poster

Post by lightgarden »

Michael and Chump,
We have a social event for the engineers in our company in the end of April. We are a fortune 500 software company. I hope it is something fun for you to come and play Lego with the engineers in our department. :-)

I sent you a msg about the details.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

One person needs to take the lead on this and post it in the member only forum. Michael if you don't mind can you do this?