Forum Updates

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

michael
Master Poster

Forum Updates

Post by michael »

Hello All,

I have updated the forums to the latest software version. I will be doing more updates and changes over the next little while.

If you experience any strange behaviour, please let me know or post it to this thread.

Thanks!
Platypus
Brick God

Re: Forums Updated

Post by Platypus »

Thanks for changing the logo, at long last!

Hopefully you will be able to import the old graphics, cause I would miss the little LEGO bricks, and the old theme (with it's "View Active Topics" button).
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

You can switch to the old theme in your user control panel if you wish. Although I am planning to convert the old topic indicators into this new theme in the next little while.

Also, the "view active topics" in the previous version actually was not working as intended. The latest version fixes a bug, and now it works differently. I have adjusted the settings so that it works as it did before. Try it out!
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

I have also updated the spambot protection for the site. Hopefully we won't be having to deal with the constant flow of new spambot accounts that we have to delete regularly.
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

I like this theme a lot better. I am much more used to it because I am on the Toys N Bricks forum all the time. Thanks for updating the site! :D
Melvin
MOC Poster

Post by Melvin »

Change??? No one prepared me for a change...I don't know if I can handle this! :P
tukac
MOC Poster

Post by tukac »

lol, I had popped on while things were still being worked on. I was very confused why the old site* layout would not get me to any of my regular haunts. XD

Well done, Micheal~!
What this town needs is more love bricks.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Looks good! Thanks for putting th active topic search back in. And the old icons! :)
michael
Master Poster

Re: Forum Updates

Post by michael »

As you all have probably noticed, the forums look a little different today. I have tried to integrate it directly into the main VLC website. I think it worked well. It now feels like the website and the forums are all part of the same site. Which it should, because it is all one site. I felt that before it was like two separate disconnected entities, and now is is a single coherent entity.

Also, the added benefit of this change is the navigation buttons at the top. They add quick access to the other sections of the website.

As always, any feedback is welcome.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

It really looks good and I'm glad all of this is/was in place before we attracted a lot more attention.

Since the forums and to an extent the Wiki are now publicly seen from the VLC front page, the login page needs to be updated to be a bit friendlier, so that people know that it's a private club member access page and aren't just seeing a login screen.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

You mean the login screen for the wiki?

Yes, I want to make the login links redirect you to the forum login screen.

The link to the wiki on the menu bar only appears when you are browsing the forums. I could also make the item only appear if you are logged into the forum. This would hide the wiki link from non-forum members at least. Just a thought.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

michael wrote:You mean the login screen for the wiki?

Yes, I want to make the login links redirect you to the forum login screen.

The link to the wiki on the menu bar only appears when you are browsing the forums. I could also make the item only appear if you are logged into the forum. This would hide the wiki link from non-forum members at least. Just a thought.
Either way is fine. It's just if I'm on the vlc.ca website as a public user, I see an option called Wiki. I want to click on it but it just throws up an ugly login screen or one that should explain in a nice manner that to access the Wiki, you must be a member. But if an option to hide it based on login status would be awesome. The forums at least takes you to content, but the wiki does not.

ETA: Thanks I see you've already changed it.
Pierre

DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

LOVE the new layout for the forum /wiki top links and stuff

Plus we have our new header graphic finally on the forum ! Thank you sooo much Goatmuncher !
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Looks great. I like the integration of the two sites. Not sure if I like the stud background in the forums, but that is just a silly detail. for some reason it reminds me of Zelda on SNES and it confuses my brain.
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Hah. Well yes, it sort of has a retro video game feel to it. Maybe that's why i was so happy with it when I created it and went with it. :)
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

is it possible to add a link from the wiki page back to the forums?
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

Is there some setting on the forum that prevents you from being logged in using multiple IPs? I have a load balancing router that switches between Shaw and Telus so my IP can change on the fly. I'm assuming this is why I'm having problems with getting logged out all the time (makes it challenging to post :) ).

Cheers,
- James
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Yes Shane, I still want to improve the navigation in the wiki. It is slightly more complicated with the wiki skinning to make changes, so that is the only thing that has been slowing me down from completing those changes sooner.

James, I did a little looking into this. I came across this explanation:
It seems your IP address is part of the sessionhash, so a rapidly changing IP address will invalidate your session and leave you logged out "if" bbuserid & bbpassword are not available to establish a new authenticated session when the address change occurs. (from stackoverflow)
So it should work fine as long as you check "Log me on automatically each visit" when you log in.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

all good memories! :lol:
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Hello All,

I just wanted to let you know that I installed an WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor for the Wiki. This means you don't have to fart around with wikitext to format pages. It should look more like editing a Word document now.

It should be enabled by default, but if you don't see it when you edit a page, try going to your wiki preferences and deselecting "Start with rich editor disabled".

Let me know if you have any problems.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Thanks michael, that should take a big stumbling block away from most of us who say, "It's too difficult to learn!"

I mean.... Darn.... now, I guess I'm going to have to use the wiki.
Pierre

michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

muahaha