Alcatraz Build

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Hamslice
Element King

Alcatraz Build

Post by Hamslice »

Hey guys.
This weekend will be the first time in 2 years that I will be able to build again. Finally living in a big enough place to contain all my Lego.

So I was thinking of a few things to build and get back into with.

I wanna do a diorama of Deadwood town from the HBO show.
Also my plan for years was to build a huge model of the Serenity ship from firefly.
But for now i just wanna get some practice and try out some new Techniques and thought of doing Alcatraz. It has a lot of different components, challenges and should look really good if it turns out.

I searched though the forums to see if anyone has built this and couldn't find anything. Has anyone seen this build from Lego before. Not looking to copy just maybe get some ideas. I wanna build from the water up. boat doc and everything.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know
Cheers Keith
jobert
New Poster

Re: Alcatraz Build

Post by jobert »

That's an awesome idea. Good luck with that.
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

how big is your collections ? Ihave seen a few serenity ships over the years but have yet to see an awesome one .
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Brian
MOC Poster

Post by Brian »

I am not familar with Deadwood, but if you are looking for something western, make sure you check out;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marshal-ba ... hotostream

Brian
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

If you build Alcatraz, I could probably hook you up with a dozen or more prison minifigs.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

cool project idea :) have you built something as massive this before? i hope this weekend is just the beginning :)
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

This is my favourite serenity build of the ones I have seen.

I think it has captured the shapes quite well. I also like the scale.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Brickhead wrote:how big is your collections ? Ihave seen a few serenity ships over the years but have yet to see an awesome one .
Here is my collection. minus my mini fig collection and one or two other random sets on display around the house.

I placed my self in the photo to give some scale, cause photos don't really show the depth of how much there is.

I have some good idea's for Serenity ship. just need to get my hands on some really good photos so i can get the detail and shape perfect.

I'll be start Alcatraz tomorrow. not sure the scale of it. I wanna make it to scale with the minifigs.

Keith
Attachments
IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Wow quite a bit LEGO...... :shock:
Personally for a weekend project I'd be going to walmart & picking up some storage drawers & large ziplocs.. and get to sorting!
Organized LEGO is sooo much easier to build with! :D
All the best
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

I had it all organized once, but I'm limited on space so i've just kept them in 4 big Tupperware bins.
Do you sort by color or piece type? I might start sorting it as i build.

Thanks for the idea Rad

Keith
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Sort by piece type definitely. You can easily spot the colors you need in those separate piles.

For starters you could go with something like this..

-Plates (Round Plates is a group of its own)
-Bricks ( Round Bricks also a group of its own)
-Slopes
- Minifigs & Accessories
-Misc (hinges/connectors, tiles, wheels/axles, windows/doors, plants,etccc)

Your groupings would also depend on what you have a ton of and what makes sense to ya

Cheers!
Last edited by RadStar on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Also a suggestion for drawers/bins.. go transparent whenever possible, so you can check out the bottom & sides if needed :D

Those plastic drawers are on left-side of the pic here
http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/ ... SPLASH.jpg

They're about $11 each at Walmart I believe... Canadian Tire has a ton size variations but costs a bit more
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Perfect!

Thanks Rad
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Lol I ended up taking new pics of my storage system and editing an old MOC page..

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/292825
The 3 new pics are on bottom

Cheers
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

I use these type of drawers for bulky items. They can usually be had on sale for around $10.

For smaller items I like the smaller top drawers in these.

Try to get ones that are the same brand that are stackable so you can change the configuration.

I have mine 4 large drawer high or 3 large/2 small. Then get yourself a large sheet of plywood, OSB or MDF to put on top as a counter top. My local lumber seller cut a sheet of OSB for me and I wrapped it in shelf liner for a cleaner/smooth finish. Ikea AS-IS section might be a good source for a one stop counter top solution.

Or if you're a real do-it-yourself kind of guy you can buy a whole bunch these shoebox size containers (usually on sale for $1 or less in larger quantities) and line them up on a long shelf. Stack multiple shelves for a drawer-liker system.

Canadian Tire usually has 40-50% off sales on their storage units so just wait and save yourself some $$$.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Sorting by piece type is all fine and dandy but it take more containers to do so. Can also be a pain if you have to build in a different room than the one you store your lego in.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

So Ive started to build Alcatraz. Its huge its the size of my dinner room table. which is 4 x 2 and half feet. Ive covered the table in the flat Lego boards to build on. I have the boarder all the way around. I realized that there is a lot of elevation change for the island. So i needed to fill it in with platforms and pillars. Its going to take a lot of Lego. I'm sure i have enough to do it. But i have to cut corners and change the shape of the island and just make it a simple copy of the island, its also no where near to scale.

So i Came up with an idea to help concentrate on design and detail more. I was going to get a plywood board cut it to shape of the island make all the elevations with wood. Use chicken wire and pasture Paris for the slopes and all the flat land where the builds would go. Making my own Huge Lego platform (the kind that you got from castle and pirate sets back in the day.) in which to build off of. Leaving the corners of the island and parts along the sides to fill in with Lego. also to attach the dock too.

Just wondering if this is allowed? for shows or to be excepted as a Lego build among Fellow Abs engineers? :wink:
before i go and bust my table saw and tools to build this huge lego platform I thought i would ask.

Cheers Keith
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

If you need to fill volume (such as you are) and remain purist, use Duplo.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

OK, I will need to find duplo lol.
But if i wanted to build the island out of plywood anyway would it be frond upon? and if i took photos of it to post online could it go on sites like Moc and others?
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Amass Duplo through Craigslist when you find a good price, condition doesn't even have to be great. I also think that Brickhead was looking to unload an apple box or so which should probably do you.

It really comes down to what you're comfortable or happy with. Although, I'll leave the question of plywood to the carpenters in this bunch.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Cool, maybe i will switch up projects till i can mass some duplo. ya I'm a Carpenter so wood working is easy for me.
The main reason i wanted to use it was to get a scale and the shape perfect more then anything.

also how do you attach reg Lego to Duplo as i recall the duplo nubs are a lot bigger?
Brian
MOC Poster

Post by Brian »

They attach together by magic, lego duplo and lego system brick are compatible.

Brian
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I think thats a great idea using wood to create the levels you want, especially if you're good at wood-working.
In the end when people check out your creations, all they see in front of them is LEGO, its all good :)

Cheers!
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

cool thanks rad.
I just didn't want to come off as some Lego building hack or something :(
I still debating getting duplo or using wood.
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Hamslice wrote:also how do you attach reg Lego to Duplo as i recall the duplo nubs are a lot bigger?
Here's the basic connection:

Sorry for the image size!
-Bryan