Where do you get your Lego pieces?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

darbee
Experienced Poster

Where do you get your Lego pieces?

Post by darbee »

Hey, I was just wondering, when you guys do your projects (big or small) where do you usually get the pieces to complete them? Do you purchase from lego.com or bricklink etc? If so, what's your experience with it (i.e. cost wise)

Thanks in advance....

Brad.
mattybrick
General Poster

Re: Where do you get your Lego pieces?

Post by mattybrick »

I placed an order a week ago on Lego.. using the pick a brick section. My order actually arrived quite fast.. I was suprised. There is a little part though that says you order can take up to 17+ days for them to get it all packed up and ready. I guess it depends on the size. I ordered mini figures parts. My package came sealed in its own special sealed baggy, with the Lego logo and a number almost like it was a set which I thought was super cool.
They also sent me a letter.. thank you for my purchasing, and basically making me feel like a lego building champ! My order with Lego was a small one.. I ordered minifigure parts for some customs I am making.

I haven't yet ordered anything yet from Bricklink, but I will be placing an order there soon.

I noticed that Lego doesn't have as large of a selection for buying individuals pieces. Dont get me wrong they have a lot, but there was a bow piece that I was looking for in grey, and lego did not have it in that colour.. however I found a ton of them on bricklink.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I've bought from Bricklink a few times (17) and I would say its a good source for parts you need since they have a great catalogue set up.

The wait time sucks though.. I find when the package is smaller though, it gets here alot quicker.

Locally, I got some great deals buying from Craigslist sellers in 2011.. just keep checking craigslist for people selling the sets with parts I need/want.. that takes some patience! And lots sorting :) I ended up trading away a bunch unwanted excess in the trade forum on here

However, Im done with that now so that is 1 less buyer looking to scoop up good deals on craigslist..
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

Bricklink is a great resource when you need specific hard to find pieces.
Once in a while I'll check out a thrift store like Value Village for some used bricks.
Up till now I have used the Pick A Brick wall at the Lego store in Bellevue when I have needed a lot of pieces and didnt want to wait for shipping. Now that we have a store coming to Vancouver that will it easier.
Drafting sets with a few other people is a great way to stock up on pieces.
If you join a recognized Lego club or LUG you can get access to order bulk bricks directly from Lego in Denmark.
Each year in Oct, Seattle hosts a Lego convention. In addition to the vendors selling unique stuff, attendees also get up to 30% off at the Lego store (US retail prices) This is a great time and place to stock up on new sets. (plus VIP points)
I have given up on craigslist cause half the people on this forum watch it like a hawk and scoop ut the good deals before i can even find them.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Also I find trading in here works well if you are clear & specific with what you HAVE & WANT.

Dont leave it open-ended and people wont get back to you.
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

I acquired a huge chunk of my collection from friends , cause being an AFOL they see and know all the cool shtuff I do with it . So a lot of friends actually approached me and offered their collections , sometimes free , sometimes trade and some time sell .

Aside from that I get the rest of mine from ( in order of quantity)
Direct lego lugbulk program
Bri0kcon 30% of deals
Club reward programs
Bricklink
And then drafts

Best part about those 5 ways is they usually come presorted . !
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
tukac
MOC Poster

Post by tukac »

Yeah, bricklink is a good way for finding a specific part(s) you just have to keep an eye on your price per piece because shipping can bite you if you don't check the seller's shipping policy. My first big purchase on bricklink (more than 20$ in parts) cost me almost the same amount in shipping so 21$ in lego cost almost 50$ by the time it arrived.
What this town needs is more love bricks.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

If and when you get comfortable with members here, you can also open up your Bricklink orders to others to defray shipping. This does involve some co-ordination. If you're not in a rush, some will let you keep an order open for a length of time, but don't let it drag on too long.

Agree how you're going to split the shipping beforehand whether by approximate weight or dollar percentage of order or voodoo magic. Or build up some goodwill karma, if shipping is not too expensive. Agree to or stipulate a weight limit, as sometimes there is a threshold where it does get too expensive.

To keep it simple, you also need not open it to everyone, you can PM people and let them know which store you're buying from and what your proposed arrangements are.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Also if you make your Want's known, the craiglist hawks could let you know when they see something they think you would like (but they're passing up on themselves.. ;))
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
darbee
Experienced Poster

Post by darbee »

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their comments, buying separate pieces is still new to me hah, can't wait until the lego store opens in vancouver! Although, I am sure the pick-a-brick will cost much more than in the US....
tukac
MOC Poster

Post by tukac »

20$ here vs the 15 for US :(
What this town needs is more love bricks.
darbee
Experienced Poster

Post by darbee »

Just adding another sub-topic... I was looking at getting some brickarms type weapons/armor for my minifigs, just wondering anyone have any good recommendations on sites to purchase from?
Brian
MOC Poster

Post by Brian »

In regards to Brickarms,

Chowren toys is a reseller for Brickarms, and they are close by.

the website is here: http://www.chowrentoys.com/servlet/StoreFront

Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Just looking to see if anyone knows the name for this piece. Its feature in sets 6986 and 6958 they are the giant tinted glass window wall parts there's 2 each to these sets. I'm look to buy 4 of the orange ones if anyone knows what there called. or if you know where i can pick up sets that old I can just buy the sets x2

I'm more interested in the orange over the blue but if i can only get blue ill take them.

Cheers Keith
Attachments
6958-1.jpg
6983-1.jpg
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

Hi Keith,

Go to www.bricklink.com/catalog.asp and search for set #6958.

The detail page for that set is http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=6958-1. If you click on the "View Inv" link on the right, you'll see an inventory of the set's pieces.

The piece you're interested in is called "Panel 10 x 10 x 12 Quarter Dome" in the color "trans-dark blue".
-Bryan
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

Ah perfect thanks so much.

I didn't know you could cross reference parts like that.

Cheers Keith
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

VLC is part of the LUGBulk program? :D
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

brankell5566 wrote:VLC is part of the LUGBulk program? :D
Most large LUGs are.