Front Page News: Lego Minecraft Passes Review

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

Front Page News: Lego Minecraft Passes Review

Post by chump »

Well, I've already popped it on the front page of the VLC website but it bears repeating in here. The Lego Minecraft Cuusoo Project Passes review, so sets will be made in the future.

Congrats to Michael Thomas (suparMacho, goatmuncher) for his contribution to the project.

Minecraft™ LEGO CUUSOO Project Passes LEGO Review

2012/01/24

Happy New Year! Since the Minecraft™ project reached 10,000 supporters on LEGO CUUSOO, many of you have been eagerly awaiting our update. Until now, the project has been in the LEGO Review—a stage before product development begins where a LEGO Jury evaluates the idea’s feasibility as a product and makes a decision.

We're happy to announce that the Minecraft project on LEGO CUUSOO has passed the LEGO review and we are now developing a concept that celebrates the best aspects of building with the LEGO system and in Minecraft and we can’t wait to show it to you—but we aren’t ready just yet. These things take time, so we appreciate your patience. More details are to come.

The LEGO CUUSOO Team

Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
AC
Brick God

Re: Front Page News: Lego Minecraft Passes Review

Post by AC »

All right! Congrats Michael!
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Thanks! I'm so excited!

And thank you chump for featuring it in the VLC website news. :)
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

A friend of mine gave me a gift copy of minecraft . More like mindcrack !! Such a simple game but yet so funn! Ill have to try kick the addiction in a few weeks though to make sure I actually build some stuff in real lego. If lego was smart they should bought minecraft a long time ago and forget that mistake lego universe
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Is it available on IPAD? It'd be a good platform to try out the game.. also for my 8 year old son who is quite curious about it and has been bugging me about it :P He heard about it somehow?! I suck at trying to figure how to work an emulator or unzip files.. so hoping for something easy :) The Nintendo 3DS would be most ideal though, since Owen (son) has his own! ;)
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

RadStar wrote:Is it available on IPAD? It'd be a good platform to try out the game.. also for my 8 year old son who is quite curious about it and has been bugging me about it :P He heard about it somehow?! I suck at trying to figure how to work an emulator or unzip files.. so hoping for something easy :) The Nintendo 3DS would be most ideal though, since Owen (son) has his own! ;)
My nephew says the iOS version is no good as it doesn't have the full array of bricks/blocks that the full Minecraft does.
Pierre

michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Yes, it really is a great game. And addicting. Especially for people that love to create and build things!

And yes you can get the pocket edition for ipad: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id479516143?mt=8
Thought the full game is java based, so you should be able to play it on any platform as long as you have java installed.
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

as seen on FBTB

Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

haha! rotflol nice
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I LOL'ed :D
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

RadStar wrote:Is it available on IPAD? It'd be a good platform to try out the game.. also for my 8 year old son who is quite curious about it and has been bugging me about it :P He heard about it somehow?! I suck at trying to figure how to work an emulator or unzip files.. so hoping for something easy :) The Nintendo 3DS would be most ideal though, since Owen (son) has his own! ;)
My 8 year old daughter and 9 year old son have computers side by side so they can "craft" together online with their uncle. They've spent quite a few hours building and learning via youtube videos on some of the building techniques and use of the different blocks. They spend more time on Minecraft than Lego. Works for me as it's less of a mess for me to cleanup.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Anything close to what anyone was imagining?

The set was unveiled today. Here is the official picture and press release:

--
BILLUND, Denmark –The LEGO Group and Mojang have released purchase details and pictures of the LEGO® Minecraft™ Micro World today.

The new set, which was the first to receive 10,000 votes of support from users on the global LEGO CUUSOO idea collection platform, will be available for purchase in summer 2012, but can be pre-ordered from today, exclusively through Mojang retail partner Jinx.com for $34.95/€34.95/£34.99 at http://www.jinx.com/LEGOMinecraft. The sets will also be sold in select LEGO brand retail stores and the LEGO online shop from summer 2012.

“LEGO Minecraft Micro World is designed to celebrate the essence of the LEGO concept and the Minecraft gaming experience,” said Paal Smith-Meyer, Head of the LEGO New Business Group. Each set features four cubic modular vignettes that can be connected to recreate the Minecraft experience in LEGO bricks. One Minecraft block is represented as one 1x1 LEGO plate with a tile on top - not a perfect cube, but the best approximation at the chosen scale.

LEGO Minecraft Micro World includes two of Minecraft's most iconic characters, Steve and a Creeper, represented as "Micro Mobs." The model presents a standard for building a Minecraft world that can be configured any way the builder likes.

The surface of the modules comes off to reveal mines and hidden resources beneath. Fans can build their own landscapes, stack cubes on top of each other, to build the world of Minecraft as they wish.

The product was developed in collaboration with four LEGO fans: Chris Malloy, Michael Thomas, Kyle Tingey, and Bjarne Panduro Tveskov. These fans developed concepts alongside LEGO designers and helped shape the product into its final version.

Upon seeing the physical model the first time, Mojang founder Markus “Notch” Persson exclaimed: “Woohoo!”

LEGO CUUSOO is a website where LEGO fans can submit their ideas for new LEGO products and collect votes to make their ideas become a reality. They can also vote for other users’ ideas. It can be found at http://lego.cuusoo.com.
Ideas that are supported by 10,000 votes have a chance of being selected to become part of the LEGO Group’s product portfolio. Consumers who have their ideas chosen will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product.

Mojang will donate the 1% proceeds from LEGO CUUSOO to charity.

For more on the co-creation process for LEGO Minecraft Micro World, see the LEGO CUUSOO blog at http://legocuusoo.posterous.com.

Pierre

michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Exactly how I thought it would look! ....Well, I maaay have seen it before today ;)

Though I will say, it was not what what I envisioned it would be when I first came on board this project. And there were definitely a lot of concepts thrown back and forth. Though I believe it is the best way to get the most minecraftiness into a set at that price point. Anything larger and it would have just been too expensive or too simple. I also just really love the microscale.

My favourite part is the 1x1 brick with the creeper print.

I also really like how you can easily combine more than one set together. So if you do want to make a slightly larger chunk of minecraft world, you can by just getting an extra set or two. Anyway, I think there are lots of great things about it, but I would love to hear your opinions.

I also like this one of notch holding it.

Also, this video is worth a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcwWN6jcdu8
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I think it looks attractive and is a great size for those mine-craft players, to build & keep the set next to their PC's or whatever :)
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

michael wrote:Also, this video is worth a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcwWN6jcdu8
Thanks for the link. I know almost nothing about Minecraft but I enjoyed the video. I liked how for a brief second it says "L E G O S" then they quickly erase the 'S'. :lol:
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

lol, yes that is my favourite part!

I think as a programmer I also found this video particularly enjoyable. I wish I could code something that would print out lego from my keyboard!
tukac
MOC Poster

Post by tukac »

wow, Kudos, Micheal. One of my sons is a minecraft addict. He is going to be very amazed when he sees these, especially when I tell him I can let him meet one of the dev's. XD
What this town needs is more love bricks.