LEGO Train questions

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

LEGO Train questions

Post by Arct3ryx »

Hi folks,

I've a kid interested in trains, and in LEGO - are the LEGO train sets worth it or should she go and get a dedicated train set? It seemed to make sense to combine the two but it's pretty big cash. She's already got a big chunk of the City line and it also seemed like a good fit with that set.

Would love to hear opinions & thoughts from those of you who own the set.

Thanks in advance!
chump
Element God

Re: LEGO Train questions

Post by chump »

Welcome Arct3ryx to the forums. We have quite a few Lego train enthusiasts here in the club, while I'm not one of them, I'm sure you'll be getting some answers soon. Do look out for the Trains weekend at the Burnaby Cameron Rec Centre which the club usually has a Lego train display at each year.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Hi Arct3ryx,I remember being 10 years old having my old 4.5 volt battery run lego train rolling around my small city.I think It adds a bit of excitement and breathes life into a sprawling metropolis.
I know the Lego trains are not cheap but try and get them on sale or at a garage sale,They used to be electric from 1990 to 2007,now they have the battery power functions trains which seem to be pretty good,the new battery motors are stronger than the electric ones,It does take 9 aaa's to run the train though ,I believe they'd last about 6 hours,I would reccomend getting rechargeables.
The way Lego has done the controller you can now run 8 trains (or 8motors)with one Power functions controller,So if you bought one train set and maybe another infra red pick-up and motor and battery pack you could have a crane moving or lights at a crossing or a windmill.Lego has the power functions on their website ,Toys rus has the trains on sale from time to time,I liked the freight train because it came with switch track and a crane,their might be a new train coming out towards Christmas so watch Toys r us for some sales on trains,they had the last city passenger train on sale for $100.

Hope this helps,Andrew :wink:
Lego trains are just the best!
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

Also , think of how quickly kids like to change things , with lego the possiblities are endless , and its very robust and can handle wear and tear . dedicated train sets are not as versitile, have less resale value . I had both when I was a kid and I stuck with the lego .
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

Hey thanx for all the replies guys - appreciate it! All right, I'll keep an eye out for the LEGO trains to go on sale :) She'll just have to settle for the Thomas trainset that she's inherited for now, but that's ok too... good time to find out if she's really into it or just a passing interest.

Thanks again for all the input!
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

So look to pick up the freight train set first over the passenger train set? It's more expensive but it looks way more cool with the crane. Love the train station too with the overpass, that looks great.

I might have more fun with this than she will before it's said and done :)
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

chump wrote:Welcome Arct3ryx to the forums. We have quite a few Lego train enthusiasts here in the club, while I'm not one of them, I'm sure you'll be getting some answers soon. Do look out for the Trains weekend at the Burnaby Cameron Rec Centre which the club usually has a Lego train display at each year.
This is great... any details on when this display will be up? Cameron's just a stone's throw away for me :)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

We are also doing a display at the Port Moody station Museum from July 2 to August 31 if you can get out that way this Summer. :D
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

I know exactly where that is... by Rocky Point right? I've even known a couple of people who volunteered there. I'll be there to check that out - thanks for the info :)
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

Is this still starting today? Will round up my two little rugrats to come on out for a look.... :)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Did you get out there?
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

I did, and was totally impressed... I came away realizing that you needed a lot of space to run a train layout, and even then it ran around it pretty quickly; this is not a diversion for someone with limited real-estate.

Especially enjoyed the first-hand look at some of the buildings... the movie theatre was a highlight for me, loved the details too like the lumber mill in the forest, or the Toy Story pig poking his head out of one of the box cars.

Whimsical and very, very cool.

I think I'll be picking up the passenger train set and adding more track to it; hoping to hit the Bellevue LEGO store in late July.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Glad you enjoyed it. Did you get a chance to meet any of our members?
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

You must have got there earlier on because Hamm got moved to the train engineer/ conductor role when Woody who was previously doin the role got move with Bullseye to behind the train and catching the train with girl Woody character whose name slips me.

There was a lot of detail in the mill that may be missed as there are no lights inside but the roof pieces are removable.

The cinema in the Town Plan was originally a facade in the set but AC fleshed out the back half of the building and included an interior which currently has no staircase to the second floor.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

I should've stopped to say hi - but the kids kept me busy, and in the end I ran out of time when lunchtime hit - I was there right at 11 when you guys opened up... I was the one with the two girls who kept on wanting to poke at everything! My friend was there with me, he was chatting to one of the club members for a while - the one who had a Swiss Army camera slingbag.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

That was me! :D You could have just said the good looking one. :wink: rotflol
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

AC wrote:That was me! :D You could have just said the good looking one. :wink: rotflol
Hahaha! So that was you... I really should've said Hi, I'll be sure to do it next time. One thing led to another and that was all she wrote. I noticed a lot of the club members were packing dSLRs - I'm guessing it's a byproduct of the hobby...
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

For some of us. I just really enjoy photography as a hobby. I still have much to learn and get a bigger lens and flash and ... :D
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

I'm a Canon dSLR shooter myself. Got to be with the kids, it just made more sense to get into something heftier than a point & shoot. Got a Sony NEX5 as a runabout camera for the wife and I've been finding myself using it more and more. But yeah... you've sure made it hard on your pocketbook with your hobbies. LEGO AND photography? ka-$-ching!!! :)
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

I know. I have a Canon Rebel T1i myself. I was talking about getting into golf and the look I got from my wife was pure evil. Too many collections and too many hobbies is not good for my pocket book or my health. :D
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

How are the flexible and straight tracks for LEGO trains now? Looking over the reviews on the LEGO site and there seems to be a huge hate-on for the product. Wondering what your personal experiences are with them.
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

The flex tracks are ugly,dont stay in place on the floor,and are noisy.If you have the train running quickly the curve that youve made with them will start to straighten out depending on how smooth the floor is.Maybe its great for kids.
Maybe look into ME Models,they have straight track for sale and are going to be producing new radius curve track,I havent actually bought any product from them yet but it all sounds promising.
The biggest beef people have with Lego selling straight track is that it comes with an equal amount of curves which is a big ripoff,its like the way they sell the road plates,you dont want an equal amount of t-plates with your curves.

Happy Hunting,Andrew :wink:
Lego trains are just the best!
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

I don't understand THAT whole road plate thing either. Why provoke that much antagonism in your fanbase...? They do some things that could get me really frustrated if I let myself dwell on it too much...

But thanks for the heads up on the ME product, I'll go check it out :)
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

Whoa... the ME stuff does look really good. Seems built to all the wants and needs of the brick railroader... anyone here have it yet or are using it?