Vancouver LEGO store

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

Re: Vancouver LEGO store

Post by chump »

Arct3ryx wrote:Having said that... I'm sure my family will be popping by often :) I'm also pretty sure it'll be in a premium location... for a few good minutes there I was wondering where the heck in New Westminster they would put this store! Hehehehe

I'm sure brickhead would be willing to rent out his basement to have a Lego store put in there. At first it may be a mortgage helper, but after awhile..... I'm not sure his neighbours would appreciated the extra traffic though.

I have edited my previous post to clarify so that future people aren't confused.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Depending on location I could see myself going there for smaller $20-$50 sets I just have to have when they come out and save up VIP points that way. When it comes to bigger sets I'll go down to Bellevue and spend my VIP points there.

As for location I know some people have speculated that since the first job postings for Calgary and Toronto were posted as Calgary and Toronto, the Vancouver one would be located in the City of Vancouver. Let's not forget both the City of Calgary and Toronto are huge sprawling administrative districts that cover over 500km each while Vancouver is less than 200 km2 and only has two malls (Pacific Centre & Oakridge) that would be up to LEGO's caliber. All of LEGO's stores in Canada are located in malls with easy access to the freeway and only two in the USA (Chicago and New York) are located right in Downtown. If it were Pacific Centre or somewhere downtown I don't think I would shop there more than 1 to 2 times a year, because I hardly ever go downtown nor want to spend $10 parking to get there.

Oakridge might be a better possibility, it's an in affluent neighbourhood with easy access to parking and Skytrain, and only Zellers there sells LEGO I think, with the nearest TRU on Broadway.

If it were out in the burbs some other locations suggested are:

Metrotown: There's already a TRU and Zellers, but it's a HUGE regional mall with free parking and Skytrain

Richmond Centre: No one sells LEGO in the mall aside from a limited selection at Sears. I know the food court is going to be relocated upstairs soon but the stores where the food court were won't be opening until 2013.

Anyone from Surrey or Coquitlam want to to chime in with speculation there ? :)
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I'm leaning towards Downtown, so it lends to Vancouver Downtown's Attractions.. and where can you buy Lego there?
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

The only place in Surrey I could see would be Guildford mall. It is undergoing some huge changes now that Walmart has been seperated from the mall. There is a Toysrus express in the mall but their selection is worse than Sears. The mall has steadily been improved and updated over the past few years but its proximity to lower income areas may hurt its chances.
The pros for locating in Guildford Mall would be the proximity to the freeway and bridge that will be finished next year. The demographics are kid and family heavy. It is the closest mall to the Fraser Heights area which is very affluent.
It is also a transit hub.

I think Coquitlam center would be an ideal mall if it werent so distant. Burnaby or Richmond are more central.
The big challenges with downtown are the higher rent costs and fewer familes.

Willowbrook is also a nice mall surrounded by upper middle class families but it may be too far and with a Toysrus, Sears, Zellers/Target and an independant toy store that sells Lego it could be a tough spot. (plus Toytraders accross the street

The Lego store may be a toursit destinaiton for us but i think its bread and butter will be the kids, parents, and grandparents.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

timtosino wrote:Oakridge might be a better possibility, it's an in affluent neighbourhood with easy access to parking and Skytrain, and only Zellers there sells LEGO I think, with the nearest TRU on Broadway.

If it were out in the burbs some other locations suggested are:

Metrotown: There's already a TRU and Zellers, but it's a HUGE regional mall with free parking and Skytrain

Richmond Centre: No one sells LEGO in the mall aside from a limited selection at Sears. I know the food court is going to be relocated upstairs soon but the stores where the food court were won't be opening until 2013.

Anyone from Surrey or Coquitlam want to to chime in with speculation there ? :)
Oakridge would be a nice choice, not too far from my home and it is not too crowded, like Metrotown. Metrotown is okay, but it is too crowded and like you said above, there is already a large TRU and Zellers located in there. I also don't want to spend twenty minutes trying to find a parking spot on the street nor do I want to pay $10 for a nearly full parking lot. So selection of malls are very limited, hope the district manager decides to open another store in BC.
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

Can't see it at Coquitlam Centre even though that would be spectacularly close to me :) Was just there to do my annual "Watch The Panicky Men Buy For Their Wives" crowd and didn't see any empty spots being reno'd to take in a new tenant...
Captain Pike
MOC Poster

Post by Captain Pike »

My bets would be Pacific Centre, Park Royal or Oakridge. Those are the up-market malls in the city. Pacific Centre had the first Apple store and I think Lego might follow suit.
Last edited by Captain Pike on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Post by Pascal »

I spent too much time in malls recently to really want to even think about going to one... But...

Brentwood Town Centre is located in northern Burnaby at the corner of Lougheed Highway and Willingdon Avenue. Great positioning in terms of highway access, skytrain access, it is a bus nexus point, reasonably close to Metrotown, and has a couple vacancies. There are a couple good anchor stores to draw people there. And the layout lends itself to good pedestrian traffic flow. I think the this mall would be ideal.

I think the TRU express is finished there... I overheard one staff member talking to another about needing to find a new job since they were closing. Perhaps taken out of context, but still interesting news. That leaves London Drugs and Zellers as LEGO sellers.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Brentwood is a really small mall though, and not really a destination people go to from out of the area to shop in as well.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
Arct3ryx
Experienced Poster

Post by Arct3ryx »

Can't see it at Brentwood either, although my favourite gaming store's there. Would be nice though as it would be nice and close to me :)
Bricklee
Master Poster

Post by Bricklee »

Happy New Year!
This is my first post in the New Year anyway :>)
Okay, after reading several comments on where the Lego store could be located. I would put my money on Oakridge. Too bad I live in Langley and it’s a long drive. It makes sense from a demographic perspective, it's an in affluent neighbourhood, Skytrain, etc…I guess time will tell it will soon be open for all Lego enthusiasts in the area. My kids can’t wait, nor can I. Yeah Vancouver!
Bricklee.
Bricklee
Lettuce
Brick Overlord

Post by Lettuce »

If you haven't seen this yet, LEGO posted an ad on Craigslist: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/r ... 81413.html

If you look in the posting title, the store will be in Oakridge.

Case closed on the giant mystery.
Rhymes with Lettuce
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Nice first post! :)

Oakridge works extremely well for me!! :D :D :D
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

I have never been to Oakridge but will likely be there a lot in the future. Thanks for the tip, davethebest !
and welcome to the forum. Once the store opens we should dedicate a thread in the forum spefically for people to update the pick a brick wall when new or interesting peices come out to the wall.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Yay, I can see myself going to Oakridge a lot more in 2012. Certainly more convenient than downtown.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

Thank you for he confirmation davethebest. Nice to know it is not going to be in downtown Vancouver. Like others said, I will be at Oakridge more often.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Now we just need t figure out the opening date. Couldn't help but notice that there is not even a "coming soon to Vancouver" in the last catalogue in the stores section. Just Calgary and. TORONTO. ..
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

Platypus wrote:Now we just need t figure out the opening date. Couldn't help but notice that there is not even a "coming soon to Vancouver" in the last catalogue in the stores section. Just Calgary and. TORONTO. ..
Although no exact date is given, the Oakridge website listing fro LEGO says 'Spring 2012'. http://www.oakridgecentre.com/store/lego
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Post by Pascal »

brankell5566 wrote:Although no exact date is given, the Oakridge website listing fro LEGO says 'Spring 2012'. http://www.oakridgecentre.com/store/lego
Well spotted!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

That's the kind of news that should go on the front page! Oh.. wait... that would be me, huh....
Pierre

beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

brankell5566 wrote:
Platypus wrote:Now we just need t figure out the opening date. Couldn't help but notice that there is not even a "coming soon to Vancouver" in the last catalogue in the stores section. Just Calgary and. TORONTO. ..
Although no exact date is given, the Oakridge website listing fro LEGO says 'Spring 2012'. http://www.oakridgecentre.com/store/lego
That makes sense to me because last weekend when I was in Oakridge I saw no vacancies at all.
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

beethead wrote:
brankell5566 wrote:
That makes sense to me because last weekend when I was in Oakridge I saw no vacancies at all.
LEGO's entry in the Oakridge Centre directory says "West Galleria".

In the West Galleria, there is a "temporary" toy store (beside Stuart Weitzman I believe) named "Go! Toys & Games". That looks like a viable location for the LEGO store.
-Bryan
Telorc
General Poster

Post by Telorc »

Do we have any people on this forum that live close to that location ? Im really happy its not downtown, but man thats still a pretty long drive from cloverdale.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

I live 9 km away, about 20 mins drive.
I do however work 3.5 km away, about 10 mins drive :)
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Telorc wrote:Do we have any people on this forum that live close to that location ? Im really happy its not downtown, but man thats still a pretty long drive from cloverdale.
At least three of us live dangerously close by, myself now probably being the closest.
Pierre