Software Developers

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

michael
Master Poster

Software Developers

Post by michael »

I have noticed that there seems to be a decent number of AFOLs who are also software developers/programmers/engineers. I happen to be one of those AFOLs. I was just curious of anyone else here is? Someone must be somewhat proficient with computers enough to set up the website and forums. Which, btw if you need a hand with, just let me know.

I could actually open this up to a general "What do you do?" thread for curiosity sake. What do you guys do for work? Are many of you students?
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Re: Software Developers

Post by Jonathan S. »

michael wrote:
I could actually open this up to a general "What do you do?" thread for curiosity sake. What do you guys do for work? Are many of you students?

I'm home-schooled and in the 10th grade. :) And I kidsit.
They called me loser... I called me BrickStar
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

I'm self employed building and installing interior custom hardwood staircases and railings. And I'm pretty freaking good at it ! :)
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

I am a Sales Rep/Route Supervisor For a local Dairy Company.
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Jonathan: Ah the days of grade school. Any post-secondary plans at this point? (I personally had no clue in grade 10, so don't feel bad if you don't heheh)
Dave: A job where you get to build stuff... awesome. You'd think more people who like Lego would have good construction skills, but I'm just useless with that kinda stuff.
Allan: Oh that's cool. My girlfriend used to milk cows for a while, back when we lived on the island. I also drink milk, so that's cool. This is good, I feel us building a bond between us through our related experiences with dairy products.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Michael, you can milk a goat.

"A cat has nipples. Can you milk a cat?" - Meet the Fockers
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Haha chump. Yea I need a fresh glass of goat milk to wash down the goat meat.

You didn't tell us what you do!
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Chump is a secret agent for some foreign government. That's why he is always better dressed than the rest of us and won't tell you what he does.

I do stage lighting and carpentry. I have also been involved in most aspects of theatre, but as regularly. It's like LEGO, only bigger, with real people. Either way it's all about story telling for me.

As for your interest in the website, I am currently the webmaster because there was no one available who knew anything about web design and had the time to do it. I know some HTML, but there PHP systems that run the site are beyond me. As webmaster, I don't really do much, except try to find people to do the actual work and over see it. You are welcome to help and we should talk about what kind of help you are willing to offer (PM or email).
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Drats.... I've been exposed. Technically, I'm a mole who infiltrates lunatic fringe groups, such as the VLC, but have since gone rogue. The real secret agent in the VLC is Tim. Don't you notice how he's always taking notes and photos, every time we get together?

Actually, I help people with their life insurance, investments and mortgages decisions. Foreign secret agent sounds so much better though. Think they'll let me put that on my business card?
Pierre

soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

I am a Father of 2 future TFOL/AFOL's unless they get drafted into the NHL first.
from time to time (usually monday to fridays), i have been to known to work as a travel agent.
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

michael wrote:I have noticed that there seems to be a decent number of AFOLs who are also software developers
I fall into this catagory, but work in C++ on a native windows application so don't have any experiance with online development or websites.

If there's ever some major mishap with a time machine and the VLC jumps back to the 80's I could setup a BBS, that's how I got my start in computers.
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

Father of 2 with household domestic duties during the day and by night I load delivery trucks for a food distributor.

80's BBS days were fun redialing until the line was open and then working at 300 BPS. I'm also a former SysOp.
"I adore my 64, my Commodore 64!"
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Biomedical Engineering Technologist. I clean, test, fix respiratory machines for the half part of it, the other half, we help people with disabilities live more independent lives with assitive technology or technology we adapt to meet their needs. You can check us out at www.bcits.org

In my personal life though, I rarely talk about my work, it is just that- my job :)
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

I keep track of research funding, and process research grant applications.

A few years ago, I used to be involved with web development, database design, and application programming. However, if I was to return to that field, I'd have to go back to school to re-learn everything!

When I'm not at work, I run after my 3 year old. When he's older and I move into a bigger place, I'll get back into more regular LEGO building (of my own, DUPLO doesn't count)...
-Bryan
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Oh this is great. Very cool to learn what all of you do. A good way to learn a little about you guys. Thank you to all that have responded so far.
JamesH wrote:If there's ever some major mishap with a time machine and the VLC jumps back to the 80's I could setup a BBS, that's how I got my start in computers.
I fear we might have to set one up and get a good game of L.O.R.D. going!
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Post by Pascal »

I work for NASA in a very hush hush position. In my spare time I write screen plays, and incite revolution in foreign countries.

I have 3 children; James, Julie, and Jeff. I'm most proud of Jeff. He is an orthodontist for chimps. The other 2 are total screw ups. I blame my wife.

Bette, the wife, is a former US marine. She can bench press a Cadillac escalade. She frightens me. She really does. This is genuine fear we are talking about.

I got into LEGO as part of my 12 step rehab program. I never understood the whole "Mega Blocks Anonymousness" thing. The first thing they wanted me to do was go up to the pulpit and say "Hello everyone, my name is Pascal; and I'm a mega-blockaholic" Where is the anonymity?

As you can surly see, I lead an interesting life. If my life was any different then as described above, I wouldn't bother putting it online for the world to see... If you get my meaning... If not ;)
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Pascal, you're an MBA? Wow!

And is that my foreign country that you've been inciting riots again in? It was insidious of you to change the colour of our Lego bricks to do so.
Pierre

AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

My job seems so dull in comparison to everyone else's now. I don't even get to milk the cows, I just sell the yogurt. It is good yogurt, and it is all natural with probiotic bacteria cultures ...oops the sales rep coming out in me. Sorry. :lol:
Did I mention that it is made right here in the Lower Mainland. Ok I will stop now. :wink:
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Milking cows is so yesterday. Cat's have nipples. Can you milk a cat? Maybe you can take the company in a whole new direction. Cat milk cheese and cat milk ice cream. After all, I read the other day that they're selling breast milk ice cream and breast milk cheese now.

whoops.. family forum...
Pierre

AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

chump wrote:Milking cows is so yesterday. Cat's have nipples. Can you milk a cat? Maybe you can take the company in a whole new direction. Cat milk cheese and cat milk ice cream. After all, I read the other day that they're selling breast milk ice cream and breast milk cheese now.

whoops.. family forum...
The cat thing I don't see happening. I could see the complaints now... I found a cat hair in my cat milk. The breast milk, now there's an idea. Now would you need to hire people to milk the ladies or would they do it themselves? :lol: I can see the applications rolling in for the milker positions now. The job for being the one being milked, well that's the iffy part.
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Ya I was going to say I am a Hitman for hire,but really I work in a electrical warehouse,driving a forklift ,some shipping,just generally pulling my wire for a living."Reel" men do it with copper,or wire we here.Been at it for a while,wish I could write code,the system we use at work is based off dos,1988 if I'm correct,we still have a few mono chromatic screens out back,I'd love to have a palm pilot on the forklift to bin locate product when you put it away.Noramco goes through so many trees ,its un-believable.

Glad to have you on board Micheal.

,Andrew :wink:
Lego trains are just the best!
kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Post by kennymatic »

By day I'm a C# .NET developer for a local company. On the side I maintain various websites including www.splitreason.com, a local geek/gamer themed t-shirt company.
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

kennymatic wrote:By day I'm a C# .NET developer for a local company. On the side I maintain various websites including http://www.splitreason.com, a local geek/gamer themed t-shirt company.
Awesome! I wish I was programming in C# these days. My current job has me doing a lot of Java, which is less than satisfying.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Man, you guys are young. In my days, C didn't have a + or a ++ and now you're telling me there's #? We coded in Pascal (not our pascal) and Fortran and Basic or machine code, ASM. The high school I went to was networked on the PrimOS mainframe. I just missed out using punch cards to program, which my sister did a couple years earlier. Man, those were the days.

And the things that some people made using that ancient architecture terminals? Incredible. On a command line interface, we had guys building spreadsheets with drop down menus and GUIs. These were the early day hackers of the BBS days. Me, I could barely get my built from scratch simple database to work, period. Needless to say I failed the second year CompSci course at UBC, forever altering my career trajectory in computers.
Pierre

kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Post by kennymatic »

michael wrote:Awesome! I wish I was programming in C# these days. My current job has me doing a lot of Java, which is less than satisfying.
Why do you say Java less than satisfying? I've done my tour of duty with Java between 2000-2005 but I personally prefer .NET - C#. But I know guys that are just hardcore Java also.