Smaller boxes.

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Do you like or dislike the smaller boxes.

Poll ended at Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:17 pm

100%
Dislike
No votes

Total votes: 12
AC
Brick God

Smaller boxes.

Post by AC »

DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Re: Smaller boxes.

Post by DeGobbi »

smaller boxes measn less cardboard which means more trees stay in the ground ., if you ask me
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Post by Pascal »

And less shipping cost...
Too bad it doesn't mean cheaper LEGO.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Maybe Walmart is making them go smaller so they can cram more into the Toy Section, the Toy Sections at Super Centers are hopelessly small :P
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

Yea the smaller the better. Some LEGO sets are in boxes waaay too big. It's like buying cereal just to get home and find out you own 50% less honey nut cheerios than you thought. Except for LEGO it makes even less sense.

I would still buy LEGO if they only came in a bag. But some people are more the collector type, and really enjoy the boxes.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

More compact is good. I dont know why a bigger box would be better for any good reason really. Looks like we're unanimous on this :)
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

I think a bigger picture is better for marketting. But I would think that the negative impact of kids finding a box half empty would out weigh that anyway.

LEGO boxes are way too big, and it's ridiculous. When buying a bunch of a set, I often fit 3-6 of a set into a single box for easier transport. It's horrid when you think about all the shipping and packging and space wasted.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

timtosino wrote:Maybe Walmart is making them go smaller so they can cram more into the Toy Section, the Toy Sections at Super Centers are hopelessly small :P
Tim is on the right track. Costco "requests" smaller packaging so that they can fit more per pallet, thereby reducing shipping costs. Less pallets, less trucks, less fuel and transportation costs. Walmart probably applied similar "requests" to Lego. Otherwise, they would remain large from a marketing perspective as Platypus points out.
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.