Hoarding....

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Hoarding....

Post by kennymatic »

Do any of you have a large collection of unopened LEGO sets or is it just me that's crazy?
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Re: Hoarding....

Post by Jonathan S. »

Not I. I'm a builder. 8)
They called me loser... I called me BrickStar
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

You're not alone; looks like I'm crazy too.

I have all of the modular buildings (excluding Market Street) unopened, just to name a few.
-Bryan
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

I have some sets not opened ,fire brigade,train shed,hogwarts express.then I have some sets that have been opened for parts with bags still sealed from the remainder ,wright brothers plane,santa fes (2 engines and 17 passenger cars),2 emerald nights not built(but will use for parts some year).large technic crane,some creator sets all the modular buildings in various parted out pieces.I wish I built more,hopefully this year ill get more done.

,Andrew :wink:
Lego trains are just the best!
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

i have about 20 ewok attacks . and 9 boba fett + landspeeder combo sets still unopened . CLoud cars and a few others .

No you are n ot crazy :)
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

I likely have about 30 sets, from 2002 to present. I used to think that people with unopened sets were crazy. Then I started buying more than building...

Andrew, I have one word for you to help make next year a building year. Vasectomy! :wink:
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Post by kennymatic »

30. Wow. OK I don't feel so bad now. :mrgreen:

I found I've just been buying a bunch of stuff recently because of the sales. But what I really need is a few good trips to the Pick a Brick wall.
beethead
MOC Poster

Post by beethead »

I'm guilty of hoarding. I've got sealed sets and various parts from BrickLink stored under my stairs and desk. Every once in awhile I open the boxes of parts just to admire the light reflecting off of the glossy surfaces. Medium blue is such a pretty colour. If I had the right tools I would even vacuum pack the clear plastic bags I store my sets in.
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Nope no hoarding here, maybe a set will be unopened for a few weeks till I have time to build it- then after my son's had plenty fun with it- and damaged the structure some.. it'll be disassembled and the parts sorted.
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

I think I have two or three small sets unopened, but thats me. I just can't wait to open the boxes up and put stuff together and usually not the set per instuctions.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Platypus wrote:Andrew, I have one word for you to help make next year a building year. Vasectomy! :wink:
So funny. rotflol
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

I have a handful of (maybe 8-15) unopened sets. Usually sets that were on too good of a sale to pass up.
If they go more than a year or so on my shelf then they become candidates for our annual VLC gift exchange :P
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
kennymatic
Experienced Poster

Post by kennymatic »

I think its the sorting that I dread. So the next question is, what about the boxes?

Do you guys keep them?
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

The boxes go out to be recycled. I kept a few boxes at first then decided it was silly because I have every intention of keeping my lego, so I am not reselling them later on. And the accumlated boxes were actually taking up space, despite being flattened. I have only two boxes now- to keep my instruction manuals in. I may switch out those boxes later on eh.

Also the instruction manuals have pictures that the boxes have and also the manuals is a nice way to "count how many sets I have" .. I only keep instruction manuals for sets I actually built & liked.. if If I get a set just for the parts- I dont keep the instructions- such as the Atlantis or PoP sets.

I am developing my lego storage system right now, it helps make sorting easier as well. a couple plastic drawers, a few plastic compartment cases, and a couple tupperware boxes with ziploc baggies :)
Last edited by RadStar on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Boxes get recycled around my place and I keep all my instructions.
TFM
Element King

Post by TFM »

kennymatic wrote:Do any of you have a large collection of unopened LEGO sets or is it just me that's crazy?
My wife and I do sadly.
8) TFM -- ABS addiction is a terrible thing... to waste.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

I have a bunch of sets in a box unopened. Mostly smaler sets that are doubles that were on sale.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
michael
Master Poster

Post by michael »

I can't handle having an unopened Lego set around. I have tried... but I just have to open it and build it.
and oh the joy that ensues! I have never felt bad about opening a set and building it.
Last edited by michael on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xandria
MOC Poster

Post by xandria »

TFM wrote:
kennymatic wrote:Do any of you have a large collection of unopened LEGO sets or is it just me that's crazy?
My wife and I do sadly.
Hahahahahahahahahaha
Ahhhhh
Hahaha

Ahem

Yes. Lots.
Xandria

I enable, therefore I am
(yes, I am that person your parents warned you about)
tukac
MOC Poster

Post by tukac »

*jealousy*

XD

I suffer the same affliction as GM. XD Mind you, I have only recently started collecting after having lost most of my collection thanks to a cruel, uninformed ex. XD
What this town needs is more love bricks.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Boy, there must be a sad story behind that little glimpse into Chris's married life.

I used to think Dean and Alex were crazy to have piles of unopened sets lying around, though I understood that they wanted to wait till they had time to open and enjoy each set, building it first and then possibly sorting it if it wasn't a keeper. I had the same approach all through my teens and it wasn't till the TRU 75% off on Star Wars sale hit that I had sealed sets piled up. I only had like $300 to spend at the time (sadly), but it was the biggest single purchase I had ever made (at the time) and the $1200 worth of LEGO was what I normally would have bought in a year. 8 years later I still have opened all those sets, though at some point I sorted down most of them and left only 3 or 4 sealed to build in value.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
xandria
MOC Poster

Post by xandria »

I wish to add that there is one set (which we have several unopened boxes of) that I will never build: Yoda.

I cannot bring myself to build that Yoda set. But one day all those boxes will get sorted into the collective.

And yes, I'll stick to my guns regarding my crazy rule of not sorting into the collective until I have actually built the original set. heh.
Xandria

I enable, therefore I am
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Xandria wrote:I wish to add that there is one set (which we have several unopened boxes of) that I will never build: Yoda.

I cannot bring myself to build that Yoda set. But one day all those boxes will get sorted into the collective.
I don't know what your reasons are but maybe today's rumour might alleviate that....

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=54640

And getting a second will allow you to do this.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=142942

A much more realistic rendering of Yoda.

But alas, I quick posted this and it seems that it might not be re-release after all....
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
xandria
MOC Poster

Post by xandria »

chump wrote:
Xandria wrote:I wish to add that there is one set (which we have several unopened boxes of) that I will never build: Yoda.

I don't know what your reasons are but maybe today's rumour might alleviate that....

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=54640

And getting a second will allow you to do this.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=142942

A much more realistic rendering of Yoda.

But alas, I quick posted this and it seems that it might not be re-release after all....
My reasons are really simple: It's an ugly set. Seriously. Yoda's not about to win any beauty contests. But I did buy... god knows how many... just for the bricks. Now if it weren't an ugly set, I don't think I would have had an opportunity to buy so many on such a deep discount. So there is something to be said for the dogs of LEGO's releases.
Xandria

I enable, therefore I am
RadStar
Master Poster

Post by RadStar »

Aha so hoarding is really just impulse buying and then not following through ;)

Got Battle of Alamut for $80 over the weekend :) Built already boo yah! (Realllllly nice set!!!)
Roger the Deaf Guy
My Moc Page