Membership

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

AC
Brick God

Membership

Post by AC »

Just to clear things up, VLC members are AFOLs (Adult Fans Of Lego) in the Vancouver area that have attended a meeting and have paid the $10.00 membership fee. The $10.00 is a one time fee that goes to paying for the web site fees and is used to have only people that are really interested in membership join. Hope this clears things up. If you are not a member and do not want to be please feel free to continue using the forum. Please remember to play nice. :D
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Re: Membership

Post by Jonathan S. »

so if I pay the $10 I can be a member? I signed up for the VLC (Not just the forms) Does that make me a Member? If not than why pay $10 a year? :?:
They called me loser... I called me BrickStar
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

The $10 helps cover the costs of the web site. It is a one time fee to join. If you did not want to be a member then you would not pay. If you do not want to be a member we can delete you from the main page and you would still have the limited access to the forum.
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

Im bringing $10 on friday. Do I pay you?
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Dave De Gobbi is our treasurer, at least until the march election... And then all the positions might shuffle.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

So just to make sure I get it. When I pay, I become an offical VLC member, and I can contribuet to shows?
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

When you pay, you become a member. The part of the forum which is now hidden apears and you have access to the member area of the site.

You are then able to learn about all the member activities that are going on, and start to take part.

As for as show design, planning, building, installing, maintaining, it's more complicated than just slapping a few bricks together. People learn a lot in their first few shows and it usually changes the way they build (and some members stay away from shows for that reason). For one thing, it teaches you to build/work as a group. It also forces you to build in themes, ways, and scales you would otherwise not build. For example, a meeting planning a town layout might decide that everyone /must/ build all cars 5-6 wide, to ensure that they keep to a certain scale. Train builders might have to build all 6-7 wide, or 7-8 wide, depending on the look we are going for.

The team building mountains might all have to follow the same colour patterns, 90% dark grey from sea-level to 30 Bricks, 50% Dark grey and 40% white after the snow line (at 30 bricks). 95% white after 60 Bricks.

Builders working on a Pirate show may never have built Pirate stuff before, and they might spend the first few months of practice-building 17th Century-style building before they feel the have the hang of it.

But don't worry, there will be years of shows ahead and there will be lots of time for you to jump in and start building for the public.
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
DeGobbi
Brick Deity

Post by DeGobbi »

So just to make sure I get it. When I pay, I become an official VLC member, and I can contribute to shows?
Yup , provided you can work well with the group and be dependable when committing to shows . Working well with a group means respecting others opinions , comments and constructive criticism ( beacuse we will criticise , after all thats how we get better ) .

Forum etiquette mean posting intelligent meaningful responses ( personally I a little over whelming to log onto the forum and see 15000 new message i have to read through ) . instead of just saying " cool " say " I really like this because of the way to did so and so ".

Shows --When we sign up to do a show we are quite often under legal contract to deliver . If you commit to do a part of a layout you have to deliver . that might mean only commit to a small part for your first time but that's better then biting off more then you can chew .

Also membership is provided we like you too :p .
VLC Loud mouth
Dave De Gobbi
Jonathan S.
Master Poster

Post by Jonathan S. »

I'm glad you like me then! :p