New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

AC
Brick God

Re: New to the forum?

Post by AC »

Hi Wendy, welcome to the forum. :D

I hope you enjoy our forum. Feel free to ask questions and explore.

My name is Allan and I am the Membership Director. If you have questions about membership, meetings or events please ask. :D
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

We wise wrote: Since then I've been collecting those and once our kids were big enough for lego we started them on duplo and now have them equally hooked on lego. At almost 6 & 8 I had my kids borrow the grandparents "tower bridge" lego set and assemble it over a period of 5 days and now I have a full family of lego collectors.
I love how we use our kids as justification to buy more LEGO.

child: "Mom, can I play with LEGO?"
mom: "yes, dear, but not with mine, you have your own."
child: "But you have all the good LEGO."

Welcome to the forums, Wendy!
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hi Wendy, I just noticed that you are from Nanaimo. Did you know there is an Adult Lego Fan Group in Victoria?
G_Blue
New Poster

Post by G_Blue »

Hi all!

Local student here, big fan of castle and city minifigs, and small to medium-sized sets!
I'm also open for trades and have a few sets that I'm willing to part with. (Mostly SW stuff)
You'll see me around Kerrisdale or Richmond during the odd day.

Looking forward to become a part of the community!

Fred
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Welcome to the forum G, by student did you mean Post Secondary? If you are interested in learning more about club membership please have Allan contact you.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

G_Blue wrote: You'll see me around Kerrisdale or Richmond during the odd day.

Fred
Welcome Fred! What do you do during the even days? Sorry, my humour doesn't get any better than that. Worse, probably.
Pierre

G_Blue
New Poster

Post by G_Blue »

timtosino wrote:Welcome to the forum G, by student did you mean Post Secondary? If you are interested in learning more about club membership please have Allan contact you.
Thanks, timtosino! Yes, university student. Will do! :)
chump wrote: Welcome Fred! What do you do during the even days? Sorry, my humour doesn't get any better than that. Worse, probably.
Hi chump! Hahaha, it's alright, mine doesn't either! Aside from studying and Lego, I tutor in Kerrisdale, more like peer tutoring actually. I also worked in retail for a while but that's another story. :)
JayKay
Master Poster

Post by JayKay »

Welcome to the forum.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hi Fred, welcome to the forum. I am the one you contact to ask about membership. If you want to come out and check out a meeting let me know.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hey there! Are you new to the forum? Want to find out more about the VLC? Have you been to one of our shows and want to get involved? Do you want to find some likeminded people that enjoy the hobby of building with or collecting Lego? I am the guy you want to talk to. Send me a PM or reply here.
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

(I'm guessing this is the welcome topic because I couldn't find a thread for separate intros.. Admins feel free to move this post if its in the wrong place. Also I couldn't find a post about the rules so if something in my post is against the rules (links maybe?) please let me know/remove it)

Hi all! I'm new here and I've been in Vancouver my whole life. I go by TroopaDee/Troopa D. So a bit about me. I am a member on what was formerly the "Clone Army Builders Guild" (the CABG) which was changed a few years ago to the "Customizers And Builders Guild" (some of you may have heard of this forum). I am a big fan of Star Wars and these sets make up more than 95% of my collection, but I also like the Super Heroes minifigs, Avatar, Indy Jones, Castles, and I do a lot of buying/selling/trading with LEGO. I've been building with LEGO since I was 2, and I started getting into advanced building (building with detailing) and techniques when I was around 12, after I joined the CABG which taught me how to build with details. I specialize in minifig customization, and I would say that I am best at building vehicles and landscapes although I find that I am often lacking the sufficient pieces to build what I want. I have a link to my Flickr in my profile, but I will link some of my work below.

Halo Reach Falcon (like a helicopter): https://www.flickr.com/photos/troopadai ... 105818316/
My own Clone Commander: https://www.flickr.com/photos/troopadai ... 2932889883

I've found it very hard to find others that share my interests locally. Furthermore, the people who do share my interests often are people who just play with LEGO for fun, and are not advanced builders. Also, I have noticed that many LEGO events and showcases are in the US, neglecting Canada and we on the west side hardly get any attention at all. Hence, I would really like to get more involved locally and join this group and become a member. I hope that I am able to contribute in some way as well as learn some new things from you guys!

Cheers and happy building in 2015!
~TD
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Welcome to the forums and hopefully the club TroopDee! Allan will get in touch with you about joining. We do get travelling Lego shows at Science World though and the West Coast is home to Canada's only LEgo Certified Professional!
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
TroopaDee
Master Poster

Post by TroopaDee »

Thanks for the welcome Tim! I've never heard about that, it sounds fun! And I'm really excited about joining!
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hey TroopaDee, Welcome. I will send you a Personal Message (PM) with some info so keep an eye on the new message tab next to the logout. :D
Living Rave
General Poster

Post by Living Rave »

Hello and thank you for having me a part of VLC. I am an AFOL for a few years now. I like to purchase bulk lego or my fav, the pick-a-brick wall !! I buy whatever is new to the wall in bulk. You never know what works best in any build!!

I am the owner of a recording label and we are launching an amazing mini ep this summer and having said that, my current, and largest project is a full length music video using stop motion lego.I mean the entire shoot is lego not just filler.

I just met a member of the VLC and he suggested me to this club for some lego insight. I can't wait to meet some or all of you at the upcoming meetings!!
:shock: Almost enough lego.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Chris, welcome to the forum!

Was great to meet you tonight and hear about your builds. Can you send us a link to your Facebook group for build pictures? Or the name of the group?
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
dah_hunter
General Poster

Post by dah_hunter »

Hey Everyone.

I was a Child of the Late 80/early 90's and i loved lego from that era.
Time went by but in my late 20's my mom asked me to take my bin of Lego or she was giving it away.
Ever since then i got the lego bug back again.
However i have been mainly doing Set restoration with my Wife she also has a soft spot for lego and for organizing.

Im always on the look out now for bulk lego from the late 80's and 90's to pull parts and complete sets.
I just found this forum the other day and i look forward to seeing whats going on, and buying/selling lego from those era's.

Im on Bricklink as well:
http://www.bricklink.com/feedback.asp?u=dahhunter

Not sure how i get access to the other parts of the site.. but im for sure not a SPAM bot.
:lol:
(Always on the lookout for Bulk 90's lego PM me if you got some)

To Brick-finity and Beyond
If you Brick it, they will come.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

Welcome to the forum dah! The other parts of the site are only accessible to members, Diana can help you join if you are interested.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Welcome dah_hunter. Diana is our membership director and on the forums she is dkan. Our member side is more active than our public side but usually necessarily so, as most of the general public don't need to know about our inner workings for show preparations. Unfortunately that makes our public side look rather quiet.
Pierre

AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hey dah_hunter,

Would you and your wife be interested in coming out to a meeting sometime?

Let me know and one of us will get you the meeting info.
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

Dear dah_hunter, welcome to VLC's forum. Please feel free to send me a message any time if you would like to find out more about our club. :)

Diana
dah_hunter
General Poster

Post by dah_hunter »

Thanks for all the kind words.. i would be interested in coming out to a meeting sometime for sure..
(Always on the lookout for Bulk 90's lego PM me if you got some)

To Brick-finity and Beyond
If you Brick it, they will come.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Next meeting is April 17 at 7pm in Vancouver. If you want to come out and meet the club let us know and we came send you a private message with the address.
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

dah_hunter wrote:Thanks for all the kind words.. i would be interested in coming out to a meeting sometime for sure..
Hi there, I sent you a private message. Please check it and let me know if you have any question. Thanks!

Diana
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Okay, I know I'm going about this all backwards, but Hi everyone! I'm Jason! I'm from North Vancouver and if you haven't noticed yet, I am interested in all things mechanical and technological. I was raised with Lego and like most, hit a dark period in my early to mid teens. I didn't come back to Lego until my late 20's early 30's when I started seeing incredible creations by talented builders. The one that really captured my attention was the Ball Factory v2 by Akiyuki. That brings me to why I'm going about this all backwards: I'll be at the Mini Maker Faire this weekend with the very kind and welcoming VLC and the Ball Factory.

I also run a YouTube channel under the same handle and have been working to reverse engineer and building some of what I find to be the most interesting Lego mechanical creations with the permission of their original builders and share that building experience with people all over the world.

I don't totally know what being a club member would do for me as I don't build Lego as a social activity, but more to change my mind from my typical work day. I'm a software engineer by day and by night I want as little to do with computers as possible. Since I work from home, if I need a change of mind, I have my entire collection in arms reach.

Slowly I've been winning Mrs. TheRebicker (Sarah) over and she too has started a project of her own. Nearly done she's built a model of the exterior of the TARDIS to be proud of.

I look forward to meeting some of you this weekend, and to see what creations are out there.
- Jason