New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

chump
Element God

Re: New to the forum?

Post by chump »

McStudz wrote:Well, I've known about you guys for a couple years. I actually went to the LEGO Pirates display made by this group a couple years back. I made an account shortly after, but something happened and my account was never processed or something!

I just lost track of time, got pretty busy with school and whatnot, and then I almost lost interest in LEGO as a whole ( :shock: I blame the Bronies), but now I'm back. I'll try and make the meeting tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute to something for the setup at the museum, and I'd be glad to take pictures and stuff. I feel that this group needs some more online action...
We're doing what we can to grow our online presence organically with more activity on our blog, twitter and our forums. And hey, the more photos the merrier. Look forward to meeting you but, I don't know if I can look you in the eye and both call you McStudz and talk to you about Bronies. :oops:
Pierre
VLC Ambassador to TLG & VLC Director

My avatar is Ninjago's Pythor P Chumsworth. YAY! I finally have him! Thank you.
timtosino
Element King

Post by timtosino »

McStudz, I've noticed you are 16 in your profile, if you are planning to attend the meeting tomrrow at the museum we would require you to be with a Parent/Guardian. You don't need to stay for the entire time as well, if you're just wanting to come and meet us and need to leave early that's fine. If you have any more questions please direct them toward Pierre (chump).

As chump said we try to keep as much open to the public as possible. The member section of our forums are only accessible once you've paid your $10 membership fee and come to a meeting.
-Tim Tosino
Lugnet #606
ILTCO #101
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_tosino/
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Alas, tim is correct, which may be part of the reason your account didn't get approved a few years back. (Although I'll blame it on crappy forum software.) I did not check your profile and notice your age, as I figured anyone who talked about Bronies experienced My Little Pony during their youth in the 80's, not currently.
Pierre

McStudz
New Poster

Post by McStudz »

Well, I'm sorry I missed this month's meeting, But I'll try to get to the next one...
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

The darn search function is not working properly right now.

But I hear nearly all of the VLC members are going to be at the Surrey museum on Saturday. Is that correct? I'm going to be there to help Robin out with the event he hosting.

I was discussing about the club requirements with David the other week and hope to join sometime soon. My parents support this hobby and is willing to drive me to meetings when available. ;) Going to be 15 years old in August.

I look forward to meeting some of you at the museum on Saturday!
Hamslice
Element King

Post by Hamslice »

brankell5566 wrote:But I hear nearly all of the VLC members are going to be at the Surrey museum on Saturday. Is that correct? I'm going to be there to help Robin out with the event he hosting.
I'm not sure about all of us, But there should be a few, 5 or 6 for sure. I wasn't aware of Robin doing anything for the Surrey Museum.

But for anyone looking to talk or meet with us, For sure come on out, We will be there from about 10:30am till 3 or 4pm.

Hope to see you all there, Its Going to be a Blast!
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Hamslice wrote:
brankell5566 wrote:But I hear nearly all of the VLC members are going to be at the Surrey museum on Saturday. Is that correct? I'm going to be there to help Robin out with the event he hosting.
I'm not sure about all of us, But there should be a few, 5 or 6 for sure. I wasn't aware of Robin doing anything for the Surrey Museum.

But for anyone looking to talk or meet with us, For sure come on out, We will be there from about 10:30am till 3 or 4pm.

Hope to see you all there, Its Going to be a Blast!
Robin does have an activity with the museum that day and the VLC and the museum decided to dovetail on that buzz to do the Hieroglyphs.

But we're getting a little off topic here, so please feel free to start a new thread. And I should probably have had a new post on the blog regarding the activity.
Pierre

Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Brankell, it was great to meet you last week in Aberdeen!

As Keith pointed out, the whole club certainly won't be there, but a few of us will be. So see you on Saturday!
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
brankell5566
MOC Poster

Post by brankell5566 »

See some of you on Saturday!

So what will the completed mosaic represent?
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Wouldn't you like to know. I sure won't post the answer here so you will have to decode it. ;-)
Ultrasteeloid
New Poster

Next Meeting?

Post by Ultrasteeloid »

Hello! My name is Steven and I want to join the club too! I like building Lego star ships and I like cool sets like: Exo-force,Atlantis,star wars and stuff like that. I saw your exibit in surrey today and made up my mind. when and where is your next meeting? Because the online membership is still under construction.

PS:the Surrey Exhibit was pretty cool :mrgreen:
chump
Element God

Re: Next Meeting?

Post by chump »

I'm glad you expressed your interest in joining the VLC. I have updated the membership page so that you can see what the requirements for membership are.

Attending a meeting is a requirement and we have not decided on whether there will be an August meeting or skipping to September. Check back to our VLC website to see when our next meeting will be.
Pierre

technicbuff
New Poster

Post by technicbuff »

Hello everyone, I just made an account here. I was searching for LUGnet user groups when I found this site. This forum doesn't look like it's that active, or maybe it has a low amount of members. I hope to meet new people at the monthly meeting.

I'm pretty much almost wholly submerged into Lego Technic and Mindstorms. Model Team and classic space tied for a distant 3rd place.

I go to the LEGO store quite often, it's fun just observing the atmosphere and looking at the PAB wall.

Cheers.

EDIT: Well apparently there's another thread with a similar title, I'm going to go ahead and post there just in case.
technicbuff
New Poster

Re: New to VLC

Post by technicbuff »

My name is technicbuff, and as the name says I like Lego Technic. A lot.

I'm just fresh into my twenties so I'm old enough now to become part of this community. I think Technic is an unde-represented theme among AFOL'ers so I hope to be an ambassador. I don't build too many MOCs but I am starting slowly.

Model Team, Classic Space, and Pirates are the other themes I explore when I need a bit of break from Technic.

I posted in the other thread which is listed on top, so forgive me if you've had to read through twice. It's a weird feeling trying to introduce yourself twice.

I pray one day the PAB wall at the Lego Store will have some technic pieces. I think I'd go crazy that day.
soundwave
Brick Deity

Post by soundwave »

Welcome to the forum Technibuff,
We look forward to meeting you. Its true technic isnt the most popular theme but there are a few members that are quite into it. do you have any pictures or flickr account of your creations?

Shane
Shane Weckstrom

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43769067@N08/

Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Hi technicbuff! Welcome to the forum!

There isn't a lot of traffic on the public portion of these forums as much of what is discussion is member meetings, group ordering and event planning. On the public side, you will see some traffic in the Sale watch forum and in the buy and sell.

But you are right that it's fairly low traffic. And thankfully so cause I barely have time to keep up as it is.
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

I've done a quick read through and it seems that this topic is a duplicate of the "New to the Forums" thread, so if no one opposes by Friday August 10th, I will merge the two threads.

------
Edited: The two topics have been murged. The one called "New to the VLC" has been merged into this one. So please excuse if there seems to be a disconnect or seemingly duplicate messages.

Also for new people, please note the JOIN > Membership page has been updated, and is less under construction.
Pierre

AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

For those of you that are new to our forum please fill in the location portion of your profile. If we don't know where you are from and that you are a fan of Lego and you have never posted here before you may end up deleted. For location please just put your City - no addresses please. Thanks. :D
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

And please post and get to know us and let us know about you. Inactive accounts with zero posts may be deleted after one month.
Pierre

rodbotic
General Poster

Post by rodbotic »

Then I guess I better post then.I had thought I had already, but I guess not.

I was at the Aug meeting. it was nice meeting everyone whom was there.

I am a father of 3, trained in robotics, work at TRIUMF up at UBC.

Most of my MOCs are for my kids to play with, and sometimes they last longer than a day or two.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

Thanks Rod! I think I already knew you weren't a spambot cause you told me your username. :wink:
Hemel
General Poster

Post by Hemel »

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but not to Lego although I'm a fairly new AFOL, so I've got a lot of catching up to do!

My Lego days go all the way back to 1978 with my first set was 601 - Shell Gas Pump

Cheers!
Dominic
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Welcome to the forum Dominic. You say you are a fairly new AFOL, how long has that been? Is there a particular theme you like?
Hemel
General Poster

Post by Hemel »

Well, I've always been a fan of Lego since I was young, but have just recently gotten back into collecting!
I was off and on with Lego back at the beginning of the Bionicle days but then had to sell everything in order to get married and put a down payment on my place!

Now that I'm more financially stable, I got bitten by the Lego bug again while browsing the Lego store about a month ago...since then I'm up to date with all of the available Modular Buildings and am getting ready to buy all the Winter Village sets in preperation for Christmas! Also, I've been buying on bricklink to try and build the discontinued modulars

Also, planning a family trip to Orlando this December and taking my son to Legoland (although he's only 18 months, but that's my excuse for going :p ).

Cheers!
Dominic
chump
Element God

Post by chump »

Welcome Dominic,

Well if you really want to jump back in, think about heading down to BrickCon this weekend.

www.brickcon.org
Pierre