New to the forum?

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

Diana
Master Poster

Re: New to the forum?

Post by Diana »

Welcome, Erik! Hope to see you soon at a meeting!
D_R_Watson
MOC Poster

Post by D_R_Watson »

Hi,

I'm Daniel I've been back into Lego since 2012, like Nicole I emerged back from my dark ages while playing with my Childs Duplo. When I realized I was buying the Duplo as much for her as for me, we built towers to the ceiling, and a huge train set, I though in that case I should just buy what I really want - Lego.

The last set I got before going into my dark ages was 7104 Dessert Skiff (from Return of the Jedi), and the first set I bought after I came back was 9490 Droid Escape. So you can probably tell I'm a Star Wars fan, since then I've got the excellent 75052 Mos Eiseley Cantina and build an MOC of Obiwan Kenobies house. Other than Star Wars Lego, I'm also into Motor Sports, and have built a number of F1 car MOC's, plus a MOC pit complex and starting grid, and recently a Le Mans style Prototype car too. I've I build a Lego version of our town house, complete with furniture inside the rooms to mini-fig size (though it's far from colour coordinated, that's what you get when most of your brings come from value village!). I'm also interested in Trains, I bought Horizon Express, but haven't persuade that any further yet, the town I come from the UK is famous enough for it's trams (street cars) so I'm hoping to build one of those.

I'm thinking of getting a new set this month either 75094 Imperial Shuttle Tydirium, which looks like a good build, plus a great ship to add to my Star Wars Lego; or the 70751 Temple of Airjitzu, which looks amazing but doesn't really fit with any of my Lego 'worlds' that I have going on, and is a little pricy.

It was great to meet some of you at the last meeting,

Daniel
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Hi Daniel,

We are having a meeting on March 11, it will be our AGM. Send me or Diana dkan a PM and we can get you the address.
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

Thanks for sharing, Daniel! Hope to see you at our AGM!

Diana
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

Nice meeting you again Daniel, this time because of LEGO. :wink:
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
Malfortune
General Poster

Post by Malfortune »

Hey guys,

had a ton of fun meeting you all at the last meeting and I look forward to repeating the experience! As I said in my earlier post, I've been slowly stealing back my LEGO from my younger brother now that he's older... well slowly went out the window this weekend and I am so excited!

And here's the haul!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140213133 ... res/bA6Za4

I've just purchased a bunch of organizers and am now in the tedious stage of sorting each and every brick (And still going through the great Megablocks purge of 2015 - Those get gifted to my brother :wink: )

Can't wait to start making some Mocs with the new (old) bricks and just wanted to share with you guys in the euphoria I am in today! :)
Allons-y!
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Are you coming to the meeting on Friday?
Malfortune
General Poster

Post by Malfortune »

I would absolutely love to if that's alright of course :)
Allons-y!
D_R_Watson
MOC Poster

Post by D_R_Watson »

I too spent last night going though my old lego. Last year I made a trip back to the UK with empty bags, and filled them to to 23kg capacity with lego (didn't get it all). Last night was my second real go at sorting it out. I got distracted though rebuilding my 4.5v Steam Cargo Train set from when I was about 5 years old. I've never really sorted out parts before, it's taking quite along time.
Kyler
Brick Deity

Post by Kyler »

D_R_Watson wrote:Last year I made a trip back to the UK with empty bags, and filled them to to 23kg capacity with lego (didn't get it all).
Wow.

Sorting a big haul takes a long time. I too have been discovering that lately (it's taking a lot longer than I'd expected).
Kyler Storm - (not the Gladiator)
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Once you find a method that works for you, the trick is also keeping up with it. We had a thread going about sorting here: http://www.vlc.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4195

While there are many ways to sort, the most helpful suggestion I've ever received is: a good sorting system will allow you to locate any piece in under 15 seconds.
- Jason
ssential-bricks
MOC Poster

Post by ssential-bricks »

Malfortune wrote:Hey guys,
........euphoria I am in today! :)
Welcome!!! Nice haul! This is a great group to be a part of and lots of ways to participate
lego n00b --> supportive lego spouse --> AFOL
bobabricks
Experienced Poster

Post by bobabricks »

Hello everybody!

My name is Jacob and I've been huge Lego fan just about my entire life. I'm a very active Brickset forum member and I thought I would check it out here. I live in Vancouver and I love collecting just about anything rare and obscure. I also love to collect StarWars UCS and I'm currently working on a sci-fi MOC layout.

Hope to talk to you guys more!
TheRebricker
Master Poster

Post by TheRebricker »

Bobabricks,

Welcome to the forums! We are all just getting off the high that was BrickCan. Did you manage to make it out? If you did, you likely met a few of us if you were there. We have a meeting coming up in one week in the South Vancouver area. Either if you PM DKan or she may reach out to you, we would love to see you there!
- Jason
bobabricks
Experienced Poster

Post by bobabricks »

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to BrickCan. :/ Meeting sounds great though and Ill be at the shopping event tomorrow morning at Oakridge.
ssential-bricks
MOC Poster

Hi Jacob!

Glad you decided to join our forum! :) It's great to interact with other local AFOLs. I hope you'll join us at an upcoming meeting!

Just Private message Pierre (Chump) or Diana (dKan) and they can let you know all the details!

Welcome!
Pascal
Brick Overlord

Post by Pascal »

Hello all you new people!

The next meeting is at 7:00 pm on MAY 13, 2016. Please send me a private message to get the details about the location.
Crisco Grits
New Poster

Post by Crisco Grits »

The New Guy

Hi all!

My name is Chris I am new to the VLC forum. I thought I would introduce myself. I am a fairly new AFOL. I fell in love with LEGO again after my wife started collecting Harry Potter LEGO and let me build it all... However my addiction came in the form of the LEGO Architecture Studio Set. With many visits to the the Wall Of Bricks, Pick A Brick, Brick Link and occasionally Ebay, it has become apparent to be that I am officially hooked on pieces of white LEGO. So if you have any that you would like to let go?.... I am in a few Facebook Lego groups but when I found VLC I became very excited. Now don't think for a moment that I am being snobby and only like LEGO Architecture Studio. I appreciate LEGO in all it wonderful glory and daily am learning new techniques and am always egar to learn more. Anyway, that's enough about me. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all.

Ps I have attached a few pic of my most recent MOCs to share.

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Crisco Grits
bobabricks
Experienced Poster

Post by bobabricks »

Hey Chris!

Welcome to the forums!

I believe I just met you a couple of days ago at the PAB wall. Awesome stuff!
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

Welcome to the VLC forum. I like your builds. It is amazing what can be done with just white elements.
ssential-bricks
MOC Poster

Welcome to the forums Chris!
We picked up the book "The Lego Architect" at BrickCan a few months ago. Absolutely incredible what can be done for micro-architecture. I think your MOCs are incredible! Looking forward to seeing more pictures, and maybe meeting you at our September meeting.
Diana
Master Poster

Post by Diana »

Your MOCs are amazing, Chris! I also prefer white Lego elements. Would love to see your work in person. :-)
Crisco Grits
New Poster

Post by Crisco Grits »

bobabricks wrote:Hey Chris!

Welcome to the forums!

I believe I just met you a couple of days ago at the PAB wall. Awesome stuff!
So cool, you sure did. Nice to meet you and thanks for your help! :D

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
Wow, thanks so much everyone. You are all super welcoming. For some reason I'm just seeing your posts... I'm looking forward to meeting you all at the September meeting.
Crisco Grits
cbourne
New Poster

Post by cbourne »

Hello everyone, I joined your forum recently and thought I should introduce myself. I live near Calgary and am the Secretary of a local LUG (SALUG). I heard great things about your recent BrickCan show in Vancouver and am looking forward to attending next year and meeting many of you!

I like to collect sets (mostly Star Wars, plus Modulars, Architecture, Space, and some others) and my MOCs generally involve natural landscapes (forests, trees, beaches, etc.). I have been collecting for about 18 years and MOCing for about 5. You can see some of my MOCs on my Flickr feed: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyndibourne/albums.

- Cyndi Bourne -
Star Wars collector, MOC landscaper
I need a clone to do all the regular stuff in life, so I can just build all day...
JamesH
Master Poster

Post by JamesH »

Hey Cyndi, welcome to the forum. I thought I'd better type this quickly before my keyboard short circuits from drooling over those pictures of your lego room. :) Beautiful!