I have to STOP buying LEGO!

A place for people at large to discuss items of interest with other people and members of the VLC.

Moderator: VLC Directors

03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

I have to STOP buying LEGO!

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

I just dropped another $300USD on a few Dacta sets off Ebay. I've already spent close to $400 in the last month. How do you guys curb this addiction? I seem to buy and collect more than I build. It just seems I always want more! Arghh....
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

If you are not already married with children, get to it,that will do the trick. Ha ha. rotflol
03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

If I was married I think I would be divorced!! But I think my kids would love me!
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

I realized a while back that I spend more time buying LEGO than I do building with it...
You know you have a problem when. :?

Hating the new colours slowed down my buying. I have never let myself look on ebay for fear of opening a door I can't close. I had never been on bricklink till a year ago (but failed to keep that door closed and happened to spent $100US yesterday).

Perhaps one day you will have kids who will love you for the LEGO. :wink:
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Yes I too seem to buy more than I build.I always seem to see something that someone else has built and want to someday replicate it,or make it my own design.I,ve always wanted to be able to build what ever theme I wanted so I've tried to have a varied selection of parts.
Having a wife in control of finances helps curb the addiction.JUst on tuesday I had to buy 10 packs of straight green road plates,since tru metrotown had some old stock?Still at $10 bucks for two,I couldn't pass it up.
If I was on e-bay or bricklink I'd be in the poorhouse,If I was Who I'd be able to build my house out of Duplo,Pic a bric is so tasty down in Bellvue Wash.,I almost want to get a Nexus pass to go through the border.

Just look for sales,yodas for $38.00 ...priceless

Andrew (captain procrastinator)
03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

Well, I guess in some ways I am lucky. I have chosen to almost exclusively buy Technic. I have so much now that I really don't need anything, I can build most sets LEGO put out over the years. I actually have to purge some of my stock because it's almost excessive.

The only things I truly need are the new Power Functions components and those new large treadlink gears. I wish I knew how I could get LEGO to ship me two 8275 Bulldozer kits early.

Everything else that I buy is almost just a waste. More or less I think I just buy parts now to make my storage/sorting system look complete. One day I am going to take pics of my stock and I'll show you.
03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

You know why I started this thread? Because I knew I shouldn't have made that $300 purchase on Ebay. I feel sick this morning thinking about it, I guess the guilt is finally hitting me. I don't "need" these kits.
Andrew
Brick Overlord

Post by Andrew »

Just say no!,before you make a purchase go look at all the lego you own ,and try to help justify the purchase.If you don't need it dont buy it.(easier said then done sometimes)but when I go through some boxes,find some sets that aren't even opened or a garage sale find not even sorted then you have to ask your self why?
It really is an addiction,isn't it.

Andrew woo
who
MOC Poster

Post by who »

what did you buy , maybe i can help relieve you of some stuff you dont need ???

p.m. me.

who.

p.s. i have way too much , but at the same time not even close to enough.
Platypus
Brick God

Post by Platypus »

I'm with who. "I need more LEGO like a hole in the head" (as Andrew would say), but I'll be happy to take buy some of you if you think you have too much.

David
David Gagnon - (AKA Daveed or Platypus)
03SilveradoLS
Experienced Poster

Post by 03SilveradoLS »

Arrgghhh! I am beyond help. I just spent another $100 and there's more that I wanted to buy but I've been able to avoid it. So far anyways. LEGO has the new Power Functions Dinosaur and Ferris Wheel available on their website. I think I'll wait for the Bulldozer though.

As far as the kind offers to buy my excess LEGO, well thanks. I'd love to let it go and get my money back but the thing is... I CAN'T! Mine! It's all MINE! Mine, mine mine! lol I even bought a set for my niece but I'm having an extremely difficult time wrapping it up and mailing it to her. I keep thinking she'll lose pieces or ruin the 20 instruction cards.

Sigh... what do we do when we are this addicted? None of my family/friends seem to understand, and my wallet... well there are other things I should be enjoying in life but..
who
MOC Poster

Post by who »

just pace yourself , heck even just 25.00 per week put aside exclusively equals to 1.300.00 per year and it`s nearly painless financially, well do you really need to go to the movies, junk food or buy that expensive coffee , i mean come on potatoes and beans are almost free , and do you really need a expensive roof over your head? maybe you can live in a tent, lego is waterproof you know. with all that new found money you can really go on a buying binge.

and remember, if you miss it this time, they do still make new stuff, there is no shortage, and of course if you wait and buy it on sale, more you can buy, and if all fails, buy used.

who.

p.s. or of course you could get religious about it and tithe yourself .
Gumby
Master Poster

Post by Gumby »

At some point, your collection will be so large that you will have space issues. That should help make you think very carefully about your purchases - unless you start to rent out storage units... :)
-Bryan
who
MOC Poster

Post by who »

"huh" storage! nnaaahhh,i dont have storaage problems, it`s only a small 10x14, wwweeeelll, maybe i could use one a little larger.

never enoughbricks, mmmhhhhoooohhhhaaaahhhaaa.

do you really want to be like me?, if not, stop now, and sell me all you have , YYEESS , you do not want those pieces, your getting sleapy, your mind is getting weak, let me relieve you of that terrible plastic stuff.

who.
AC
Brick God

Post by AC »

We are lego fans, Jedi mind tricks don't work on us. :lol: